• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zhuravlik
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2011

AD2 not working properly

Hi lads,
    I was eager to test an angle driver so, once arrived, i promptly added it to my freshly refurbished trumpeter Seawolf.
    Did all the setup as per instructions including zero bubble calibration and sensitivity adj but the device moves stern planes to up both when i tilt the boat up and down.
    Should'nt command up when tilted down and command down when tilted up?

Best regards,
    Francesco
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

As to proper function, yes, you're right. But I suspect you pointed the WTC down instead of up during step-3 of the set-up protocol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	124184

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2011

David, I swear i tilted the darn thing towards the ceiling! And I've repeated the setup several times while reading the significant threads of this subforum. One thing: must be pointed straight up or some 45° are enough?
      Oh, i'm using a Shultze Delta 540.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by zhuravlik
        David, I swear i tilted the darn thing towards the ceiling! And I've repeated the setup several times while reading the significant threads of this subforum. One thing: must be pointed straight up or some 45° are enough?
        Oh, i'm using a Shultze Delta 540.
        Did you insure that you got the correct number of green blinks as you went through steps 1-3?

By the way, you'll have to increase the lower rudder area an ugly amount to get this beast to turn tightly in the confines of a pool. Just a heads up. But, other than that, this thing is a well handling rocket under the water (a total pig on the surface).

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2011

Yep, David, absolutely sure that I got the correct number of blinkings through all setup steps, zero bubble calibration and sensitivity adjustment.

This is my third sub, right after the little dynamic Alfa, and was completed as LSV Kokanee. Recently it was refurbised, upgraded with a powerful speed 380, exorcised (it was somewhat haunted) and repainted.
          With this motor it's a friggin rocket and, at speed, it turns quite tightly: i would say 3 meters diameter. A second hull is coming as a decals donor and will be built later.
          Decided to refurbish all the fleet before committing to Torricelli...

Francesco

Comment

• Aug 2008

I've contacted Kevin McLeod -- he's the guy who designed that circuit. Hopefully he's in town and will be able to help you. He's the guy and the electronics-guy in these parts. I, on the other hand, just know enough electronics to get hurt.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
              Commander
              • Feb 2009

Hi Francesco,

Sorry it took me a little while to get here, and that you're having trouble. The good news is this sounds familiar and is very likely just setup.

Originally posted by zhuravlik
              One thing: must be pointed straight up or some 45° are enough?
              Yes! You absolutely must point it straight up during the setup routine, 45° is not good enough. Also be certain that the boat is completely horizontal when you're setting the "full rise" command in Step 2. Please re-run the setup again making certain you get the bow (or front end of the equipment tray) completely vertical before pressing the button for the last time. (And be sure to let me know how it goes!)

KMc
              Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
              KMc Designs

Comment

• zhuravlik
                Lieutenant
                • Mar 2011

Thank you David and Kevin for prompt help. I must confess that all the set ups were made with a "good enough" attitude because AD2's button is reachable only through a slot in RX bulkhead and near the micro crystal too. Also, I misplaced my bubble level but it has now been found. I could mount a small bubble capsule under AD2 inside WTC to assist. I'll let you know.

Best regards,

Francesco

Comment

• Gunner82
                  Ensign
                  • Feb 2018

Has any member a copy of the AD2 set up instructions, they could share, please?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Gunner82
                    Has any member a copy of the AD2 set up instructions, they could share, please?
                    All of Kevin's instructions are posted to the electronics page of my site.

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

2 posts in 5 years? Strange.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Gunner82
                        Ensign
                        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Das Boot
                        2 posts in 5 years? Strange.
                        Not really, have not had that many problems, and I am not sure why posting when I can add nothing of importance to a discussion. The UK has its own submarine group should I need practical assistance, Ron Perrott of R&R is a personal friend who is a cornucopia of useful assistance, but I do have to buy him lunch.

Comment

• Gunner82
                          Ensign
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by RCSubGuy

All of Kevin's instructions are posted to the electronics page of my site.
                          Many thanks Bob.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Gunner82

Not really, have not had that many problems, and I am not sure why posting when I can add nothing of importance to a discussion. The UK has its own submarine group should I need practical assistance, Ron Perrott of R&R is a personal friend who is a cornucopia of useful assistance, but I do have to buy him lunch.
                            I can vouch for what Gunner82 say's about Ron. Nicest guy in the game and a world-changer in the hobby of r/c submarines. Ron was one of the innovators in the 80's and 90's that brought the hobby within reach of the 'common man'. His SaleCon (a liquid damped, proportional angle-keeper); and easy to assemble, and easy to drive r/c submarine kits. Not only that: Ron's WTC's are very much the gold-standard of well crafted, reliable, and well-engineered WTC's.

Guy's like me learned a great deal from guys like Ron.

You only had to buy him the occasional lunch!?... Ron!!! WTF!

I charge a pound of flesh, minimum!

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Mar 2022

Contact Kevin. I had an issue with one of mine. He had me send it in and he updated to the next firmware version. Thing has been fantastic since.

Comment

Working...