• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uwe123
    Ensign
    • Aug 2010

ADF servo travel direction

OK,

after I have installed all these really great little devices into my type VII SD and all works great I have one little issue.The ADF corrects the pitch servo which is connected to the stern dive planes always into the wrong direction no matter if I reverse the plugged in channel on the tx side.Let me just explain how I hooked everything up and maybe there is a simple solution other than changing the ADF 180 degrees or changing over to the opposite servo (bow plane) which has the servoarm the other way round.
    I have a Graupner JR Radio and have connected the LiPo Guard to the ballast signal lead (RX).I made the connection from the LiPo guard to the ADF F/S and connected the pitch output connector to the servo on the starboard side which actuates the stern planes.The ADF is fixed to the servotray on the starboard side with the connectors and leads facing forwards.Everything is working great but no matter what---it only corrects the stern planes in the wrong direction (i.e. not compensating the hullmovement but making the tendency worse).
    Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Regards,Uwe
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Hi Uwe,

I'm sorry it's taken a couple of days to respond, I've been away on business.

I'm assuming you've got an ADF, not an ADF2? Like most other pitch controllers the original ADF must be oriented in the right way around to make the planes move the way you need them to - if they're moving the wrong way your only recourse is to remove the ADF and re-install it with the wires facing in the opposite direction to what you had or change the servo arm to the other side of the servo. Unfortunately servo reverse cannot help with this.

The ADF2 gets away from the need for this as it will learn the correct way to drive the planes during its setup routine. You can always install it in the most convenient orientation for you.

KMc
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• uwe123
      Ensign
      • Aug 2010

Hi Kevin,

thank you for this clarification.Yes I have an ADF.So after a while I figured as much that in the end I switched over to the other servo on the portside with the servoarm on the other side--no big deal still works perfect.
      BTW I am also on a businesstrip (a rather long one with relocation at the end) and to have something to do in the evenings other than sitting in a bar I grabbed the revell type VII kit and all the things I thought I need for this build.The entire project was done in my hotel room and the only thing left is balancing the boat.It was a great pleasure build specially with all the needed various components working together right out of the box.The fittingskit (compliment here to David) was a super great help and is sure one of the neatest must have thingies to get this thing into the water.
      Electronics,SD,Fittingskit,Revell kit and the great onlinesupport compliment each other second to none.

Regards,Uwe

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

As a reminder, we have about 8 Revell VII kits in stock. These are now out of productions, so could be considered as 'collectors items'. Get 'em while we've got 'em!
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• JSGILL
          Ensign
          • Oct 2010

I was given a Gato sub to finnish, complete with a ADF-2.
          I have installed a Seeker 6 receiver using a Tracker III transmitter.
          The ADF-2 seems to glitch, the servos twitch on the fail-safe (BALLAST) and pitch control.
          When the unit is sitting still on the bench, motors not running and no vibration.
          Is there a set up procedure that will correct this or is the unit defective.
          e-mail: protechusalmp@yahoo.com my site: www.jsgill.net

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Not to bad-mouth the Polk's Seeker receivers, but I've had five and one of them was sour as bought -- would glitch like you describe. To be fair, the very tight confines of a SubDriver is the ultimate test of a receivers selectivity and 'noise' rejection. May I recommend you put one of the Sombra receiver's in there?

If you're using our SubDriver then the motors are spark-suppressed. If you're using another cylinder, I would check to see that those motors have at least two Cap's each.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
              Commander
              • Feb 2009

Hi John,

That's an odd one. I'm assuming you've tried connecting the servos directly to the Seeker and not seen the same behaviour?
              KMc Designs

Comment

• JSGILL
                Ensign
                • Oct 2010

I have also tried a Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics receiver. The motors were disconnected too eliminate them. Same results in all cases. Yes I know that in electronics there is always some that are bad. when you produce several thousand a 3% or less failure rate is acceptable. I all so know that in our case if we are notified that a unit is bad and returned to us it is repaired or replaced. When I worked for Robbe Model Sport our radios were manufactured by Futaba. The Terra Top radio had a failure rate of 28% in the 1st year. We had to recall all radios for a retro fit. So yes it dose happen.
                I would just like to know what to do with this unit. Am I doing the set up wrong or do I have a bad unit that needs to br repaired or replaced. My customer is waiting for his sub.

Comment

• JSGILL
                  Ensign
                  • Oct 2010

Just too add It is the sub driver and the servos are still with the motors running or not.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JSGILL
                    Just too add It is the sub driver and the servos are still with the motors running or not.
                    I'm not clear what you mean above.

If what you are saying is that the servos chatter when hooked up to the ADF, but when the servos are still when hooked up to the receiver directly, then YES, the fault is with the ADF (trouble-shooting 101). Am I reading what you're trying to say right here, JSGILL?

Another point: are you observing proper turn-on protocol with the r/c system? Transmitter on first, then the SubDriver -- not touching any sticks or switches till the ADF and other microprocessor controlled devices have a chance to initialize. If you jump in with transmitted commands before initialization is complete, sometimes the devices will go crazy on you.

Get back to us -- this problem of yours has to get fixed.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

Just so no one thinks I've been asleep at the wheel, I've been in contact with John and we're working to get him up and running.
                      KMc Designs

Comment

Working...