• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

Replacement for the 3" WTC

David,

In general, do you recommend the 3.5" WTC (if it'll fit) or the 2.5" WTC as a replacement for the 3" WTC?

I ask this because I'm thinking of doing a couple of kits and the recommended WTC is always the WTC-3 which I believe to be discontinued.

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

David has discontinued the 3" cylinder because parts like servos, ESCs and receivers have become much smaller recently. Therefore the 'Engine Room' (Aft Dry Space) doesn't need to be 3".

Lets now look at the ballast tank. A 6" long tank x 3" diameter = 42 cu ins (approx). A 6" x 2.5" = 37.5 cu ins, leaving a shortage of 4.5 cu ins. To make this up on the 2.5" cylinder, its ballast tank needs to be 1.75 longer @ 7.75"

Bearing in mind that we are usually talking about larger boats, and the aft dry space can be made smaller, there will be hardly any difference in the overall length.

Also consider the overall weight of the Sub-driver is now lower in the boat, making it more stable.

Another important consideration is that our inventory is drastically reduced, and David's valuable time is saved.

Hopefully that explains it for you, unless The Wizard has anything else to add (or correct).
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

Mike,

Thanks for your answer.

I've gone to the Caswell order page and I don't see a 2.5" WTC with those measurements. Perhaps it's the standard 2.5" WTC - SD25SA or SDK25SK. Is that it?

Dan

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
        David,

In general, do you recommend the 3.5" WTC (if it'll fit) or the 2.5" WTC as a replacement for the 3" WTC?

Dan
        Which boats are you doing?
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

Mike,

Matt Thor's 1/96 Seawolf (scheduled to start this winter) and Thresher (scheduled to start next spring).

Dan

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
            Mike,

Matt Thor's 1/96 Seawolf (scheduled to start this winter) and Thresher (scheduled to start next spring).

Dan
            Both of those kits will take the 'standard' 2.5" SubDriver, Dan.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...