X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Gluing seams

With my ongoing Trumpeter Kilo conversion I welded the lower hull halves using Tamiya brand modeling glue. Looking at the seams they seemed fused but when held up against the light I could see some light passing through the seams. So I took some strands of stretched sprue and pushed it in along the entire length of the seam then applied Tamiya modeling glue over the stretched sprue.

I'm thinking of later covering the seam with strip of styrenes to reinforce the seam. Do I still need to this or is what I've done initially sufficient to prevent the hull popping apart? Wouldn't the saddles when glued inside the hull also hold the hull halves together?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    With my ongoing Trumpeter Kilo conversion I welded the lower hull halves using Tamiya brand modeling glue. Looking at the seams they seemed fused but when held up against the light I could see some light passing through the seams. So I took some strands of stretched sprue and pushed it in along the entire length of the seam then applied Tamiya modeling glue over the stretched sprue.

I'm thinking of later covering the seam with strip of styrenes to reinforce the seam. Do I still need to this or is what I've done initially sufficient to prevent the hull popping apart? Wouldn't the saddles when glued inside the hull also hold the hull halves together?
    Good enough.

Find something else to worry about.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

I've melted sprue in solvent to make a thick paste and applied that to this sort of area where I needed a filler. I keep a bottle of this goo handy.

I see His Eminence is his usual grumpy self! He's dot a snoddy doze folks! And almost lost his voice. I enjoy phoning him when he can't talk and just has to listen. It's much easier on my ears and more constructive for him.

Did you also notice he'd cut his pinky too.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...