X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reddevil
    Commander
    • Jun 2009

Radio transmiter problem.

Hi all. My FUTABA 6EXA in 35 Mhz has worked superbly for 18 years. But triste weekend is not able to reach more than 7 feet range. Have chekced with the two subs I operate with this transmiter and the outcome is the same: At more than 7 feet range, the subs lost the signal. Any suggestion
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by reddevil
    Hi all. My FUTABA 6EXA in 35 Mhz has worked superbly for 18 years. But triste weekend is not able to reach more than 7 feet range. Have chekced with the two subs I operate with this transmiter and the outcome is the same: At more than 7 feet range, the subs lost the signal. Any suggestion
    I assume the range-check was in air with the antenna collapsed? You using the same crystals as the ones installed 18 years ago? Are you getting at least 25mW's out of the antenna that is typical for this kind of gear? Electrolytic capacitors go sour over time -- might be the issue.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Also, what environment are you running it in, and where is the antenna located?

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• reddevil
        Commander
        • Jun 2009

I have checked both in the air and in the water n exactly the same operational conditions I've been running the subs all these years. Both have run without any problem till today. Both have an aerial extension out of the WTC. The crystals are the same I've using all these years. Don't know how to get transmitter antenna output because there is no gauge for that in the set. And yes, looks like there is someting dead inside the transmitter. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by reddevil
          Every transmitter has an rf final stage. Maybe yours has just worn out . Does it come with a schematic?
          Last edited by Das Boot; 02-07-2022, 04:16 AM.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• reddevil
            Commander
            • Jun 2009

Have to look about. The problem is that the transmitteer is toooooo "veteran" and it would be almost impossible to find spares and repairing service. In fact, I'm looking for a new one as well.

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

Open the TRX case and check that the wire going to the antenna is still soldered on at either end-BG

Comment

• reddevil
                Commander
                • Jun 2009

Great tip to consider. I'll check it. AAny way. In case I'll have to get a new one, Does a 2,4 Ghz set fit the job? Because some one has told me that frecuency doesn't get underwater.

Comment

• reddevil
                  Commander
                  • Jun 2009

Done. All the wiring seems to be properly connected, and nothing looks or smell fried.

Comment

• Mooneyjock
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jul 2021

If you are unfamiliar with the electronics of the transmitter, I would suggest you contact Futaba (https://futabausa.com/repairs/) and talk with them about the problem. If it is a simple fix, they will tell you how to do it, or you may have to send it in for a repair.

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Mooneyjock
                      If you are unfamiliar with the electronics of the transmitter, I would suggest you contact Futaba (https://futabausa.com/repairs/) and talk with them about the problem. If it is a simple fix, they will tell you how to do it, or you may have to send it in for a repair.
                      They’ll say it’s obsolete and have no replacement parts. Pick up a 72 MHz radio.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...