X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Graupner Portofino Electric deep vee

This started out as a Scale Cruiser. Its speed was very modest as the twin speed 500s were wired in series to a 7.2 volt Nicd giving 3.6 volts per motor. When I rewired to 7.2 volts to both motors it picked up quite a bit. Then I purchased new prop shafts that allowed me to install Octura x-447 left and right props , now we were moving. Playing around with gearing allowed further improvements. Then came the upgrade to ball bearing performance brushed motors with adjustable timing. At present I run a Dimension Engineering's Sabertooth 2x25 rc speed control. This allows me to put 14.4 volts to the motors at full power. Water cooling helps keep the temperatures managable.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	135689.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	58580Click image for larger version

Name:	124578.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	58579 Here are some pictures taken about 18 years ago that I recently had put on a disk.Click image for larger version

Name:	321478.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	58578
    Last edited by greenman407; 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Name:	985236.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	58581 Here she is coming at you at speed, Its a little fuzzy but back then I didnt have a digital camera that you can preview your shots.Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	58582Click image for larger version

Name:	987456.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	58583
      Last edited by greenman407; 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Here is the Sabertooth 2x25. It allows me to control both motors independantly.Click image for larger version

Name:	flash drive 5 185.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	58596
        Last edited by greenman407; 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I came upon the idea to use this boat as a submarine and boat retrieval system. Yes this boat is fast but it is also very slow and controllable and much more important.........maneuverable. With its twin screws that are counter rotating and steerable(no rudder , the outdrives pivot) and independently controllable it was perfect. If you have ever seen someone trying to push one boat with another boat its usually a lot of laughs. The pointed end of a bow touching the broadside of another is not a good platform to push against and you will get all screwed up in a hurry. Enter this.

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 046.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	58633Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 047.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	58634
          A pushing platform that I made out of ABS and equipped with cushions so as to not mar the finish of whatever you are pushing. It bolts on and off and extends below the water line of whatever you are pushing.

Name:	flash drive 5 1207.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	58635
          I have saved several boats to date. I will have to get together a video of it in action.
          Last edited by greenman407; 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

The downside to this speed control is that it produces a fair amount of R.F. Unfortunately in the confines of a boat you cant always put all the componants right where you would want them. So taking some advice from David Harrison at Model Solutions in Canada I made an alluminum box to cover the speed control and another one for the RX. Then I grounded everything and discharged that ground into the water by soldering onto a water pickup tube. I also used a loaded antenna. In addition to this I purchased from them and installed their transient voltage suppressors. A great improvment in radio range was noted. Before, you would get 60 feet away and the boat would lose you. I am still, occasionally tinkering with it to get more range.
            Last edited by greenman407; 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 060.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	58671Here are the steerable outdrives. If you look closely , notice where the transom joins the bottom of the boat. See how sharp and well defined the edge is. This is an absolute must. All edges that come in contact with the water must be sharp. In this case the boat hull came with a rounded edge.Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 065.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	58673 If we had put it into service in this condition the water would have "walked" up the transom and produced heavy drag.Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 061.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	58672 Looking forward up into the boat you can see the additional foam thats installed , just in case. Also it can be seen where the twin NIMH batteries are stored.
              Last edited by greenman407; 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 062.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	58674 The steerable outdrive servo is in view as is the RX covered by a homemade alluminum shielded box.Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 063.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	58675 Also for RFI protection are the supressors that the motor leads are wrapped around. You can also see the dual lead brushes(hard race type) in their places. These indrive/outdrive units were standard off the shelf Graupner units with variable gearing. The motors however are not. They are Monster Marine motors with variable timing which is important because these race motors can be set to a advance timing setting. They are 23 turn motors for high torque. Using a lower turn motor will increase RPM but reduce power(conterproductive)Just loosen the set screws and pop out the gears , put in a different set and away you go. They finally cracked and fell apart(plastic!) Since they were no longer available what am I gonna do? Throw the boat away?! Right!! To Stock Drive products I went and online, narrowed down the long lists until I found an acceptable substitute. 3.5 to 1 gears were replaced by 3.7 to 1, the best I could do but to get them to fit I had to bush them.Click image for larger version

Name:	4-26-10 boats, oscar 064.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	58676 Here is the Sabertooth 2x25 covered with a box as well. Time to get back out on the water with it. Oh yes, I dont want to forget to tell you about the Tamiya connecters. GET RID OF THEM. For high amperage work they will disappoint you. In the picture you can see the Deans connecter, just one of several brands of connecters that give you more surface area and a less corrosive prone connection.
                Last edited by greenman407; 06-14-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Time for an update. After going to all the effort to try to suppress the heavy RF , the best I could get the range to was about 60 yds. Not enough. Then it hit me. Why dont I take out the futaba reciever and use the Sombra SL-8? I will have an after action report for you soon. Also the X447 berylium copper props, I neglected to tell you, I cut down in diameter years ago to ease up the load on the motors. Well recently with a reduction in speed due to perhaps different gearing I again bought a set of X447 left and right props. But this time I bought them in alluminum.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

All ready to go. Saturday will be the day when you and I will know if the Sombra is as good as we think it is. If all works out Ill be ordering a set of 7 cell(8.4 Volts) Nimh 5000 Mah batts to put in her to give her another Top end gear using 16.8 Volts.
                    Last edited by greenman407; 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Didnt make it Saturday. SLAVEDRIVERS!!! Yesterday, after court I swung by the submarine pond and let her rip. Once again, let me extol the virtues of the Sombra SL-8! That was it! Now, no more radio range problems. The Sombra is truly amazing. The next series of tests will be using two cell LIPOs and see what a performance change we see over the two NIMH 7.2 volt packs.

Comment

• Buellman1
                        Lieutenant
                        • Mar 2013

Have you tried Lipos out yet? They will make a huge improvement. We have one converted to single brushless and runs extremely fast on just 2 cell lipo.
                        I'd consider getting a cheap ghz radio set for it too. I've yet to see any radio issues on any of my surface boats.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Not Yet. This place is brutal plus family problems and too many sub and boat projects in the fire. Not to mention me and my son bought a couple of pellet rifles and weve been plunking around with them. I have no doubt that I will see an improvment in speed. Im already spinning out and swapping ends with her already. If you look at some of the previous pictures that I have posted of her you can see that the outdrives dont stick down in the water too far. Therefore there is not much holding her in the water in the turns.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Never have put those Lipos in. Maybe soon. I decided to swap out those old motors for some newer ones. The new ones are 21 turn Traxxas 550 air cooled motors. I decided to get rid of the older Monster Marine 23 turn motors because they stopped pulling like they used to. I guess they are getting tired. Over time the magnets lose there strength on these machine wound mods. A handwound motor will have sometimes 4 much stronger magnets to replace the normal two in a machine wind. But , a hand wound is much more expensive. Along with the motor swap, I removed the water cooling system, too much drag.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1305.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	91589Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1306.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	91590You will notice the fixed endbell on these motors. Definitely not a Mod motor, but they are relatively inexpensive.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1307.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	91591Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1308.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	91592Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1309.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	91593Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1310.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	91594Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1312.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	91595
                            Last edited by greenman407; 06-14-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Im going to finish this up so I can test it on Monday. While Im at it we will sneak in a test using two 2s Lipos.

Comment

Working...