Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Thanks Tom-I strived to keep the weight down by using .005" aluminum for the seat frames (this boat is already at max gross-13lbs) ...all 21 seats come in at 57 grams

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

It looks robust and I would never have thought 57grams!
      my jaw keeps dropping to the floor!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

I have been talking to a Seal who served on the sister boat to the one I modeled(SOC963) he was on SOC964 and he sent me a picture from one of his missions... "There are subs and there are targets", and then there's this...Click image for larger version  Name:	SOC_MkV_SDV.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	140821

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bob Gato
          I have been talking to a Seal who served on the sister boat to the one I modeled(SOC963) he was on SOC964 and he sent me a picture from one of his missions... "There are subs and there are targets", and then there's this...Click image for larger version Name:	SOC_MkV_SDV.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	140821

That is so cool! I love the delivery sub on the back.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Yes an MK8 mod 1, he was telling me that they would winch it off the boat ramp for a mission ( I believe that this was one of his private mission photos-note no flag) and then they would winch it back up to go home ..cool as Hell! I am also pretty sure that this was the boat that I modeled MKVSOC963, since he was on 964 and the two boats ran together( a package). These guys do it all!!

Comment

• coryhenry
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jul 2020

These are amazng boats, I worked with the EOD dolphins off one about a decade ago.

Comment

• a1965l
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2020

I used to fly with a guy who was in the SBU that was in on the ground floor with those boats. I can't say this any nicer.. dude was ****ed up... I don't know how many back surguries he had been thru, and still had issues. You weren't kidding about how rought they were on the passengers.
                "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

In the early days the boat's capabilities exceeded the crews physical limits-that was rectified early on...here's a quote from a Seal who expressed how well he actually liked serving on a Mark V...

..." For us in the SWCC Community the MKVSOC was not only a breath of fresh air, it was a continuation of fast large boats that stopped with the Nasty Class PFT's, basically 1963-1973.
                  all of us that rode the MKV, loved her, as a fast, tight assed beauty, that would do anything you asked of her. I was, and I am still in love with the MKV. She was the perfect descendant of the WW2 PT Boats. She was the perfect Coastal interdiction craft, and unfortunately,in my opinion, from 12 plus years with the MKV in the inventory, Big Navy learn nothing. But that is just my opinion.
                  Take care,
                  XXX"

Comment

Working...