Italeri's PT-109 to an RC model....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• vital.spark
      Commander
      • May 2010

Mike, this is really GREAT!

Comment

• zeusbheld
        Ensign
        • Oct 2014

Hey OP! I'm also building a RC PT boat... 80' Elco (PT-105, after reading skipper Keresey's book)....

In 1/72. From the Revell Kit. Yeah, yeah. I know it's nuts. I thought about working torpedoes but looking at the amount of weight I have to play around with, even having two functioning propellers will be a major challenge. Has to have wing motors, though, with their own speed controllers. Otherwise it won't behave like a PT.

If you're interested in a PT-related reading list, I've got a long one, as PTs are an obsession of mine. At Close Quarters by Robert J. Bulkley is the place to start as it's pretty much the official history, well-researched, and comprehensive. There are a lot of interesting PT books, though, and several excellent websites, including a forum (ptboatforum.com). A lot of authors, and one of the guys who restored the PT-658, are members. Great place to ask questions if you're serious about PT boats.

If you're building your 80' Elco as the 109 you have to read Robert J. Donovan's book, PT 109. There are a lot of things that are still a bit controversial about the appearance of the 109, such as the color, and how the antitank gun was lashed to the bow (planks? coconut logs?).

Good luck with it, I may do a 1/35 boat one day (the reason I'm obsessed with tiny PTs is that all my other boats and ships in progress are in 1/72, including a Revell Flower class corvette, and 1/72 is small enough where I could some day build something big like a destroyer and still fit it in or on the car).

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by zeusbheld

Good luck with it, I may do a 1/35 boat one day (the reason I'm obsessed with tiny PTs is that all my other boats and ships in progress are in 1/72, including a Revell Flower class corvette, and 1/72 is small enough where I could some day build something big like a destroyer and still fit it in or on the car).
          Well! Lets see some pics of your fleet!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• zeusbheld
            Ensign
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Kazzer
            Well! Lets see some pics of your fleet!
            Ain't built 'em yet. Just started back at this modeling thing a couple of months ago. Research dweeb that I am, almost all of these will be pretty slow...

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

OK PT boat guys. I want to build one soon. PTF "nasty" which I had the opertunity to be involved with during my Navy carrear. Basiclly an 80ft WWII PT hull with some deck ckanges and bridge house/armor ect. I want a Dumas wood frame hull but not the resin sheeting. The big question is about power. I have seen several different variations, but this set up caught my eye.Click image for larger version

Name:	PT cooling coil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	97418water induction cooling coils around the motors. Is this a nessissary mod? It sure looks neet

Comment

Working...