• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

The Revell Flower Class Corvette - New Release PLATINUM EDITION

Guys,
    the Revell Flower Class Corvette will be re-released in November 2012.

The re-release known as the Platinum Edition will include photo etched parts, an adhesive deck, and metal gun barrels. One would hope that they would extensively review the out of scale weps and equipment and redo these.

Here is a screen grab from the Revell Germany website:

Here is the link to the page

Mike will you be getting these back in?

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
    Mike will you be getting these back in?

J
    No. No money in that, sorry. And tired of dealing with 'distributors' of this stuff. There seems to be far too many people with $100 to invest in being a 'dealer' for models, and they, because of a zero overhead, can always cut the price 20 cents. It's like Americans trying to compete with Chinese labor. Set some rules here model makers, and modelers, stop trying to nickel and dime the business to death.
    Last edited by Kazzer; 03-27-2012, 11:40 PM.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Have to agree with Mike here. If the manufacturer of these kits don't hold their distributors to the MSRP then the current chaos we have in the marketplace will continue.

The Internet has all but killed the local hobby shop -- how can a brick-and-mortar store hold up against a retailor working out of his garage. When there is no MSRP enforcement from the top, the fly-by-night mail-order guy will kill the LHS every time.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Gotch ya understand.
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

I can get this model, due out late December, and retailing at $250, more likely to sell at $175.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Mike, not worth it I don't think.
            I just per-ordered mine from a German hobbystore. Shipped to my door in Australia, $155AUD.

Just noticed that there is a photo gallery of the new photo etched parts now on the Revell site.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Snipah
              Lieutenant
              • Jul 2012

These are great models to R/C. I like the upgrades. Wish they would make more in 1/72 scale. Nice Destroyer would be appropriate :-)

Comment

• Aug 2008

I agree, 1/72 seems to be the 'perfect' size for r/c sub kits rendered in polystyrene plastic.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  I agree, 1/72 seems to be the 'perfect' size for r/c sub kits rendered in polystyrene plastic.

David
                  For me 1/72 scale for WWI-II type and small modern diesel/AIP boats,1/144 for modern nuke boats.
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• subkraft
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Oct 2009

But why, oh why didn't they do a photetch ladder up that mast......

Comment

• herrmill
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2008

Check Out PatMat's Build

Pat Matthews posted about that a few months back with the same questions... why didn't they redo some of the sprue, or at the very least, incorporate some of the available aftermarket parts.

If you want to see photo etch, he posted a build thread earlier in the year for a commission that used, I believe, all the GLS parts so the only part of the original kit he used was the hull & deck. You'll want to check out his work if you haven't already & you will understand his comment at the end of the project: "Done, ready to pick up. Whew, never again."

Comment

• Aug 2008

Wow! Now, THAT is a WIP thread!!!!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by herrmill
                          Pat Matthews posted about that a few months back with the same questions... why didn't they redo some of the sprue, or at the very least, incorporate some of the available aftermarket parts.

If you want to see photo etch, he posted a build thread earlier in the year for a commission that used, I believe, all the GLS parts so the only part of the original kit he used was the hull & deck. You'll want to check out his work if you haven't already & you will understand his comment at the end of the project: "Done, ready to pick up. Whew, never again."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430946
                          Indeed- bare basics have been improved by the looks of things.

Potential BIG problem however, is that if you were to add all of the GLS photoetch for a working model you'd have a top heavy babe. Knock yourself out with GLS brass photo etch (simply brilliant product) for a static shelf model but I don't believe its a smart avenue for a working model of this size to add the entire GLS range (which for those who don't know is essentially almost everything save for the hull).

I would have liked Revell to acknowledge in this kit upgrade what they indeed already know. - The vast majority of these kits end up as a RC project.
                          My wish list for "A Premium Edt kit" - with a PREMIUM price tag
                          A new hull, (redoing the over scale plating)
                          Photoetch - armament (all of it)
                          Redoing the overscale, liferafts, gun mounts, depth charge mounts,
                          Options for different ships (decals / plans) and :-
                          Options for different bridge layouts
                          Options for adding acoustic hammer on the bow
                          Options for minesweeping gear aft
                          This kit as standard was a huge seller as were the GLS aftermarket parts. To be fair the limited Revell photos may not do the new contents justice, BUT if that is all that has changed along with a new layout for HMS Campanula this might be a big disappointment. I should have mine early Nov and will do a box openning thread here on SD forum.

J
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• herrmill
                            Commander
                            • Dec 2008

John, couldn't agree with you more - besides who wants to put a thousand bucks worth of photo etch on any RC build?

Simar aftermarket parts are what I bought for my Flower & offer lower cost alternative to the GLS line.

Mine is sitting in the closet half-complete with RN Pearson's short foc'sle templates awaiting for a winter day when I want to pull out my razor saw & get to work.

Comment

• Reckless
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jan 2012

I barely made it through my corvette.... reading pat's build made my head hurt.

Comment

Working...