X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Ballast System Query

Just want to ask the wizard regarding his opinion which ballast system other than the Gas/Snort is better.
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-27-2009, 01:01 PM. Reason: sorry about that ... I hit the wrong button in my anger
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    Just want to ask the wizard regarding his opinion which ballast system other than the Gas/Snort is better.
    Aha! Earplugs at the ready! 'Cussin' about to commence!

Over to you Mr. Merriman. (I notice he's already wearing pink panties, so we can expect the worst.)

Prepare to meet thy doom Mr. Redboat219
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

How about your feet encased in a tub of concrete, followed by a long hop off a short pier?

There IS no 'better'.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Sound metacentric height.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
          Sound metacentric height.
          THERE! Concurrence from the Module people.

Prosecution rests, your Honor.

(that smoke and noise is me cutting victory donut's in the asphalt).

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

I know you asked God for his view but I feel compelled to also jump in.

As someone who has built and operated just about every type of system.
            Gas coupled with Snort is in position 1
            Second is non-vented tank with water pump and check valve.
            Third is brick tethered to a piece of string.
            Last edited by Slats; 11-27-2009, 10:50 PM.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Yikes! Did I say better than the G/S system? It was the cold medication kicking in last night.

What I meant was, "What would be his next option to the G/S system?"
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Yikes! Did I say better than the G/S system? It was the cold medication kicking in last night.

What I meant was, "What would be his next option to the G/S system?"
                a bit like saying after driving a Hand crafted Aston Martin Db9 - what else is there?
                Last edited by Slats; 11-28-2009, 04:31 AM.
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Stop kissing up, John.

Rick Teskey (AKA, Tor Johnson) just identified a peristaltic pump for us that might get the ball rolling on a closed-loop type ballast system. Up to the Boss if we move on this or not. Stay tuned, sports fans.

David,
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-28-2009, 09:23 AM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

is a peristaltic pump like the one's used for medical applications to shift fluids like dialysis etc?
                    J
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
                      is a peristaltic pump like the one's used for medical applications to shift fluids like dialysis etc?
                      J
                      That's right, John. Squishy plastic tube worked on by rollers attached to the perimeter of a drive disk. Relatively high pressure, low volume, little if any slippage.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

As an aside, they can pump air as well as water, Nigel Edmonds uses peristaltic pumps to pump air instead of water.

The pumps are quite large, and he constructs them himself.

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

So what is wrong with using a reversible gear pump to do this work?

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

They leak (through the gears), so you need a check valve of some sort, this can be solenoid or servo controlled, but it's an extra gadget.

Here in the UK a lot of folk use Festo ball valves. These are actually designed for air, but as they're made from high grade non corroding materials, they work very well with water too. They're modified to fit on top of a servo, and the servo has to be tweaked to rotate through 180 degrees to provide effective operation. You can pump into a bag (some people use urine bags) or a baffled tank. The system works very well, and allows fine control of the ballast.

A peristaltic pump is self sealing, so doesn't require this at all. All you need is a two way switcher or speed controller. But as Dave pointed out- low flow.
                            Last edited by Subculture; 11-28-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

As i eluded to the in the "RCABS I'm over it post" Jim Russell is testing this weekend a new geared pump setup. This specific pump in combination with a check valve is showing great promise.....Ok so why do I think the Gas/snort is so superior - (BTW not sucking up or kiss arse David - just observational) -well in the last 12 years I have gone through various impeller and geared pump setups to non-vented tanks. All have been finicky, all have wanted specific voltages, all have had longevity issues, all have worked very well.

Gas to some is complicated in its plumbing, but the system just works.
                              I see the benefits of the non-vented tank pump setup as its been the mainstay of my fleet for more than a decade, and to this end its also fun to keep on testing new variations on a theme that works, BUT as I find time shorter to get stick time, I find time shorter to build. The off the shelf product via Gas/ Gas saver and Snort is great.
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...