• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uweg1
    Ensign
    • Sep 2009

Type VII SD question

Hi everyone,

just received a SD for the revell type 7 u-boat.I think it is really a great design,thank you to Mr. Merriman and Caswell to make it for normal folks like me so much easier to rc the revell model.
    I have two questions,
    What do you guys suggest how to attach the velcro straps into the hull.Glue them to the sides of the hull or bolt them to the bottom of the hull.if glue is used which type would work best.

Generally to which set of diveplanes is the ADF hooked up,the bow-or the stern planes.

Thank you for your help,regards Uwe
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Take a bow Mr. Wizard! (I only the sell the things!)

As for the velcro: I cut a strip of flexible plastic, (say from a milk jug) to the width of the Velcro strip and about half the circumferance of the Sub-driver. Then place the strip on top of the Velcro and screw or bolt them into the bottom/keel of the boat, somewhere centrally. The plastic strip will keep the Velcro spread out, ready to accept the Sub-driver. I prefer not to use any adhesive in case I need to remove the strip later.

I started off using two strips of Velcro (as per the old rubber band idea) but found that was unnecessary. The locating pin stops the cylinder sliding around and the Velcro keeps it down tight.

As for the ADF, (I'm not an expert) but I don't know of anyone controlling the fwd dive planes. Personally, (being and apprentice sub-driver) I find the forward planes a lot of hassle, and don't ever use that control. In fact Merriman's Skipjack 1:96 has the planes on the sail and they are completely non-operable, less for me to think about as I learn these skills. It's a great boat - and I've got one - and you lot haven't! Ha! Ha! Ha!:wink:
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• uweg1
      Ensign
      • Sep 2009

Thank you for the quick reply.That helps.
      Thinking of it,I might use a little screw as a locator pin and bolt the velcro/plastic strip to it at the same time.
      So nobody uses the fwd diveplanes on the type VII at all??
      Regards,Uwe

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by uweg1
        Thank you for the quick reply.That helps.
        Thinking of it,I might use a little screw as a locator pin and bolt the velcro/plastic strip to it at the same time.
        Regards,Uwe

I wouldn't do that. I'd place the locator pin-hole as far forward as you can in the ballast area. Then you have two points, the pin and the Velcro. If you do as you suggest, I think the SD will swivel on the pin.

Comment

• uweg1
          Ensign
          • Sep 2009

geez,you are smart!!:wink: that makes sense.thank you again.
          uwe

Comment

• pjdog
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

I use blue rtv you can get at any auto supply store. That's what I glue the velco straps to the bottom of the hull.

I have two type seven's. One, my first one, has stern planes only. Most diving is done with ballast cause the stern planes don't have much movement. I've rebuilt this boat and currently hooking up bow planes.

The second boat does use bow planes and is alot more fun. Dives like a rock. They are a little touchy and take some getting use to but fun.

Good luck with you build.

Jack

Comment

• uweg1
              Ensign
              • Sep 2009

OK,Jack thank you for that input.On the 2nd boat do you hook up the bow- or stern planes to the ADF?

Uwe

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

stern planes to adf.

Jack

Comment

• T. Schulte
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Nov 2009

ADF hook up

You might want to get Dave Merriman's take on this. On my 1/32 scale type VII the bow planes are used for depth control and stern planes are hooked up to the level keeper. Sincerly, Ted, "The new kid on the block"
                  Last edited by T. Schulte; 11-12-2009, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• uweg1
                    Ensign
                    • Sep 2009

OK,Ted thanks.That would then be the same configuration as Jack has done.Sounds like a good plan to me.
                    I sure would like to hear Mr. Merriman's opinion if he has a second besides inventing and building ( and cursing ;-) )

Regards, Uwe

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

OK,Ted thanks.That would then be the same configuration as Jack has done.Sounds like a good plan to me.
                      I sure would like to hear Mr. Merriman's opinion if he has a second besides inventing and building ( and cursing ;-) )

Regards, Uwe
                      I believe The Wizard's computer is down at the moment! He's gone very quiet - but don't worry folks - just enjoy the peace!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Regards, Uwe
                        stern planes
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• uweg1
                          Ensign
                          • Sep 2009

Thank you for your input.That's settled then.
                          Regards,Uwe

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                            stern planes
                            He's back! And almost lost for words too! I think those 'cursing panties' are restricting blood flow.

I hear the tropical storm almost wiped out The Cave. Rose -my informer - tells me they had a foot of water in Holly Hedge Lane and they were baling out the workshop!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

That little rat!

I'll fix her wagon.

Shop is back up to speed. Work continues.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...