Motor stopped working on port side again!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Motor stopped working on port side again!!

David:

The port motor failed after three minutes running. I can't believe that it's running under a load, I've redone the drive shafts and couplers on both sides of the sub. They feel really free to me. I need another port side motor repair. Please advise. I know that your currently in the Carmel Ind. meeting thing right now but see what you can do for me.

Jack
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

There's something fundamentally wrong with your running gear.

Can't help you till I get back from Carmel, about the 12th.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

Can I mail it with a check enclosed like last time or do you want me to wait until you notify me to send.

After you repair the motor this time I'm going to reinstall the S/D but not hook up the port motor. Just run it on the starboard motor for awhile. Let the port motor run free. I can't find a bind on the port side. I know that something has to be wrong on the port side for the motor to keep failing. It's not like there is that much to look at. Coupler, drive shaft, bearings and screw. It's free, smooth, and lubricated. spins free and lose. Of course when hooked up it feels free but only the motor knows that. If I run the S/D with just the starboard screw driving the boat and the port motor free and everything keeps working then I've got to have a port drive problem. If it fails not hook up to the port drive then there's a S/D problem. Right!

Keep me advised.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

hang-fire til I get back.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
          Commander
          • Apr 2009

Type-7 needs motor help. I'm trudging around on one screw. Don't forget me.

Glad the test type-7 has made it your favorite boat. 15 is to many type-7's you should give some away to me.

Jack

Comment

• pjdog
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

David:

If it's more trouble than it's worth tell me. I know fifty bucks for all that work including postage is not a very profitable effort and after all you are in the RC sub business.

The way I see I've got three options.

1. Another motor repair by D. Merriman.

2. See if I can buy a motor bulkhead with motors and gears installed. This could be a poor option if the cost of a powered motor bulkhead was close to a purchase of a unassembled S/D.
            A. I'll then install the new bulk head in the old S/D.
            B. Buy a motor and attempt to repair the old bulkhead myself. If I can't do it so what I'll have an S/D in the boat anyway.

3. Buy another type VII S/D either assembled or unassembled.
            A. Buy a motor and attempt to repair the old bulkhead my self.
            B. I would now have another S/D for the new type VII I'm building If I can do the repair myself.

No mater what I want to get the old S/D working again if possible.

please advise.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

stop agonizing over this -- send me the *** thing and I'll fix it. Don't make this any more complicated than that.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

deal.

Jack

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

I wonder if it's binding outside the SD? Did you run the SD for a while on the bench without the boat paraphernalia? Just askin'!

If so, perhaps send David the SD & boat?
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2009

Howdy David:

Remember my moaning about my type VII S/D port motor stopping. You fixed it once but it failed again almost right away. So I’ve lost two (2) port motors in my first S/D. I bought another new type VII S/D but installed the new S/D in my new type VII boat. All is well with the new stuff. My new S/D has been performing great. I almost hate to say anything for fear of a curse getting me. I’ve got lots of time on it.

I decided to run my dud type VII S/D on the starboard motor until it just died all together, which it did today. I’ve ordered another new type VII S/D (Today) so I can get my boat running again quick. I aim to take all my stuff (Snort, adf, lipo guard) and install it in the S/D I ordered today. What I was wanting to asked if I could send you my dud type VII S/D for motor replacement, both motors. I thought a repair would be good idea cause I seem to be a little hard on these things. I’m pretty sure I found why I was cooking motors.

Please advise.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
                      Howdy David:

Remember my moaning about my type VII S/D port motor stopping. You fixed it once but it failed again almost right away. So I’ve lost two (2) port motors in my first S/D. I bought another new type VII S/D but installed the new S/D in my new type VII boat. All is well with the new stuff. My new S/D has been performing great. I almost hate to say anything for fear of a curse getting me. I’ve got lots of time on it.

I decided to run my dud type VII S/D on the starboard motor until it just died all together, which it did today. I’ve ordered another new type VII S/D (Today) so I can get my boat running again quick. I aim to take all my stuff (Snort, adf, lipo guard) and install it in the S/D I ordered today. What I was wanting to asked if I could send you my dud type VII S/D for motor replacement, both motors. I thought a repair would be good idea cause I seem to be a little hard on these things. I’m pretty sure I found why I was cooking motors.

Please advise.

Jack
                      I'm booked up till the end of the year. Can it wait that long?

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
                        I’m pretty sure I found why I was cooking motors.

Jack

OK! Put us out of our misery! What was causing it?
                        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2009

David:

Yes, it can wait till you've got some space. That's why I just bought another one. Guess I'll need spares anyway.

Mike:

I didn't have a (dam, senior monent) little silver thing that has a set screw in the middle to hold the little silver thing in place on the drive shaft. I think I was putting pressure on the motors when in reverse. The pools not big enough for the subs and before I hit the side I put then in reverse (full) so I don't break anything. The gato and the new type VII have little silver things and washers in place. they are very happy subs. When installing David's type VII fittings kit they had all that stuff so I used it and all has been well. I love my new type VII. It's so perfect. I also need to concider that the first sub was my first and I didn't use a fittings kit and I really was lost, had no Idea about boats and water tight and etc, etc,. Now hours later I have more knowledge to apply to problems. Like moister in the new subs servo compartment. Leaking snort. Super glue on joints. fixed it. I've moved down the learning curve a little.

Typed this without glasses and spell checker so I hope it's readable.

Have a good day. I'm going subing today.

Jack

(Wheel collar)
                          Last edited by pjdog; 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• pjdog
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2009

David:

I mailed my motor bulkhead for the type 7 sub driver to you. Your last reply said you'd not be able to look at it until after the first of the year. Mike told me to send the 'thing' to you. So I did. Letter attached explains the problem with it. Let me know what the expense is and I'll send you MONEY.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

Jack,

Very good. I've got some slack-time, so it's the perfect time to get to that thing. We'll fix you up!

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...