• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Motor stopped working on type-7 S/D

Mike or David:

Today I was running the type-7 sub when I noticed only the starboard screw was not turning. I had been running the boat for hours using several batteries changing them out when needed. Having to bump start a port screw is not unusual for my boat. I checked my connections from the motors to the shafts because that’s the normal problem but all was good. I have had occasions when I would have to bump the port screw to get the port motor to run. I tried that again and the motor didn’t respond? I removed the S/D from the sub and the motor end of the S/D was very warm. I opened the S/D and it really smelled like rat poop. In the past David said I would have problems replacing the motor cause they are press fitted. I need Caswell Inc. repair help I guess. Does Caswell repair S/D’s. Or should I buy a motor fromCaswell and do the best I can. The only way I can press fit a motor is with a Hammer. That most probably won’t work. Hammers are not amateur friendly tools.

I did notice that one to the leads from the (can’t think of the name of the brown things on the end of each motor) was touching the armature shaft on the starboard motor. Don’t know if that’s important?

Jack
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

I think your talking about the capacitor? As long as the outer insulation of it was not cut thru by shaft rubbing it, then it should be okay, but if it did cut thru that could cause a problem. Sure sounds like the capacitor may be shorted. If it's only the lead touching move it and try again. If Cap. is damaged I would replace the Cap. first , before the motor, and try it.
    I suppose if the Cap. lead was shorted to shaft that could cause excessive currect in motor and cook it, tho. I've never tried that to see what would happen. It would depend a great deal on if it was positive or ground lead that was shorted.
    Last edited by toppack; 07-04-2009, 03:52 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

Cooked

I think the port motor is cooked. It really smelled when I opened the S/D. Of course I don't know which motor smelled but the port motor doesn't run so I'll assume he's the one that stinks.

Jack

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

You're probably correct but a shorted capacitor gets hot and smells also, tho, so make sure it's in good shape first.
        Last edited by toppack; 07-04-2009, 04:04 PM.
        Rick L.
        --------------------------------------------
        * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
        Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• pjdog
          Commander
          • Apr 2009

Ran fine

It ran fine when I first got it. I think it was my amateur way of installing couplers and drive shafts. The first time I ran it in a large cooler I think the coupler on the port side was hung up. I remember I had problems at first with the Dumas couplers and dog bones. I didn’t make the coupler long enough. I wondered if it would bite me later. It did!

The big problem is I am in Florida one vacation with one submarine and I broke it. And I just got here. Tug boats aren't much fun after submarines

Jack
          Last edited by pjdog; 07-04-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
            It ran fine when I first got it. I think it was my amateur way of installing couplers and drive shafts. The first time I ran it in a large cooler I think the coupler on the port side was hung up. I remember I had problems at first with the Dumas couplers and dog bones. I didn’t make the coupler long enough. I wondered if it would bite me later. It did!

The big problem is I am in Florida one vacation with one submarine and I broke it. And I just got here. Tug boats aren't much fun after submarines

Jack

Remove the entire motor bulkhead with attached devices and send it to me. In the cover letter tell my what frequency your receiver is on and I'll repair the unit and get it back to you within three working days.

D&E Miniatures
            835 Holly Hedge Ave.
            Virginia Beach, VA 23452

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
              Commander
              • Apr 2009

How much

I should send you some cash also. I screwed it up. It was fine when I got it.

Jack

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

God see's you

Be as truthful as you can. It always pays.

It just smokes me because we're in Florida at my daughter’s house with her nice big pool. And my sub pooped. It's the only one I had to bring. The gato is still maybe 8 hours from being done. The type-7 was doing so well. Diving and scooting along the bottom. The stern planes must work better than I thought. Because it came up from the bottom without ballast blow and got to snorkel depth. Then I hit the snorkel and it came right up. So cool. I was really impressed. What fun. Running on the bottom. My wife was even impressed. She took some movies but I don't know how to up load them from here. I will do it when I get home, Monday

Jack
                Last edited by pjdog; 07-04-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Be as truthful as you can. It always pays.

It just smokes me because we're in Florida at my daughter’s house with her nice big pool. And my sub pooped. It's the only one I had to bring. The gato is still maybe 8 hours from being done. The type-7 was doing so well. Diving and scooting along the bottom. The stern planes must work better than I thought. Because it came up from the bottom without ballast blow and got to snorkel depth. Then I hit the snorkel and it came right up. So cool. I was really impressed. What fun. Running on the bottom. My wife was even impressed. She took some movies but I don't know how to up load them from here. I will do it when I get home, Monday

Jack
                  Jack,

This'll be a chance for me to learn a bit as I examine the busted motor -- I too would like to know the failure tree on this thing. Sure, may have been caused by overload as a result of a binding running gear, but one motor failed before the other. I want to know why.

Keep your money for now. I'll bill you for shipping when the jobs done.

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2009

deal

You got a deal. I’ll enclose some cash for the help. Thanks for the help. I was at a
                    lost as to what to do. Damn shame. I was really having fun with the type-7.
                    What a kick in the butt. Running the bottom and scooting to snorkel depth then the
                    surface. Even the wife was impressed. She’s not been happy with me in the toy
                    room (computer room) every day all day building subs. I was having a great time
                    using all three 7.4 volt batteries. Just solid running the type-7 all day. Can’t wait
                    to post a movie. More fun that playing silent hunter III or IV. I'll mail it Monday
                    first thing when we get home. Thanks again. Good ol' American quality support.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

You got a deal. I’ll enclose some cash for the help. Thanks for the help. I was at a
                      lost as to what to do. Damn shame. I was really having fun with the type-7.
                      What a kick in the butt. Running the bottom and scooting to snorkel depth then the
                      surface. Even the wife was impressed. She’s not been happy with me in the toy
                      room (computer room) every day all day building subs. I was having a great time
                      using all three 7.4 volt batteries. Just solid running the type-7 all day. Can’t wait
                      to post a movie. More fun that playing silent hunter III or IV. I'll mail it Monday
                      first thing when we get home. Thanks again. Good ol' American quality support.

Jack
                      Sounds like you got a fair amount of run time in before it exploded on you. I hope you're using a LipoGuard or equivalent. What was the run time on a full battery charge? I assuem you're using the 1300mAh LiPo's?

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2009

30 minutes

I was running about 30 minutes a turn then I would change batteries. I don't have a lipo guard in either sub. The type-7 is so tight for space I didn't even try to get one in but of course I'll have one in the Gato. The batteries would charge back to a green light on the charger before I would be ready to switch again. I really had a great day playing submarine. Miss Sharon said 'well just get one of your other boats'. A tug or a motor fisherman. I said 'puddin after playing submarine there are no other boats'. We are supposed to go to Brookville Florida tomorrow to see some family. They have a small pool and he is into boats but doesn't have a sub. I've been preaching subs to him but now I'm broke. Oh well I'll have to wait till next time.

What a kick in the butt. Lots of fun. Thanks again for fixing my S/D.

Jack
                        Last edited by pjdog; 07-05-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I was running about 30 minutes a trun then I would change batteries. I don't have a lipo guard in either sub. The type-7 is so tight for space I didn't even try to get one in but of course I'll have one in the Gato. The batteries would charge back to a green light on the charger before I would be ready to switch again. I really had a great day playing submarine. Miss Sharon said 'well just get one of your other boats'. A tug or a motor fisherman. I said 'puddin after playing submarine there are no other boats'. We are supposed to go to Brookville Florida tomorrow to see some family. They have a small pool and he is into boats but doesn't have a sub. I've been preaching subs to him but now I'm broke. Oh well I'll have to wait till next time.

What a kick in the butt. Lots of fun. Thanks again for fixing my S/D.

Jack
                          Plenty of room for a LiPoGuard -- put one it!

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2009

vacation

I said I'd mail the back end of the S/D monday. I meant Monday the 13th. We will not be home until July 13th.

Yes, I am using 1300 mah 7.4 Lipo's.

I will order two Lipo guards ASAP. Like later today. So much to get and so little money available for toys.

Jack
                            Last edited by pjdog; 07-05-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I said I'd mail the back end of the S/D monday. I meant Monday the 13th. We will not be home until July 13th.

Yes, I am using 1300 mah 7.4 Lipo's.

I will order two Lipo guards ASAP. Like later today. So much to get and so little money available for toys.

Jack
                              The SubRegatta is on August 8th and by the 13th I'll be in the pre-show crunch -- I'll do my best to get it repaired and off to you before the show, but no promises on that. Can you mail me the motor bulkhead from there?

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...