X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Try typing with one finger for a while and see how much editing you have to do. :mad:

Mike,
    A person will almost float, but they float a lot better if there's a life-jacket around them.
    That's what I want to do with floating tubing, and I'm sure it would help with overall buoyancy, if I could find some.
    I can't find any thin wall aluminum tubing in that o.d.
    I'll keep looking.
    Thanks for the practical suggestions, Guys (Not Mike's, He just wants to teach us Physics):D LOL
    Last edited by toppack; 04-17-2009, 09:57 AM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

You Screaming Morons!

Enough!

You mongoloid, mouth-breathing, drooling, short-bus riding, morons!

Centuries ago an old fag, Greek, math teacher worked this out. Did any of you go to school?

Buoyancy -- that force (opposite to the gravity line) exerted by a fluid (gas or liquid) on a body (or other fluid) totally or partially immersed in the fluid -- is a consequence of the immersed bodies displacement and specific gravity. For a given volume the buoyant force is the same, regardless of what the thing is made of, be it foam or Plutonium. The thing is this: is the buoyant force greater, equal, or less than the pull of gravity on the object?

Specific gravity is the ratio between a bodies density and the density of fresh water. Ideally our torpedo should have a specific density of 1.

Duh!

Your torpedo shape and size is driven by SCALE! For a given scale your torpedo has a given diameter and length. Work out the volume for that model torpedo. One cubic inch of water weighs one ounce. Do the math. Does your torpedo weigh more or less than the equivalent volume of fresh water?

The only variable you have to work with (size and shape is driven by scale and can't be played with) to get the weapon to be neutrally buoyant in fresh water is the weight of the torpedo structure and internals -- experiment till you have a torpedo that displaces a bit more than its own weight of water. Can't do it? Tough! You weren't smart enough then, where you?! ... WHERE YOU?!!!!

Slobbering Idiots.

... And stop editing your frig'n posts: It's hard to analyze where you're running off the road if I can't read your flawed arguments/stupid questions.

David,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-17-2009, 10:10 AM.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

All I wanted was for some one to tell me where to find a tube that Floats! :rolleyes:
        All I get are Dang Insults and physics lessons! Censored
        :D LOL :D
        Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
          All I wanted was for some one to tell me where to find a tube that Floats! :rolleyes:
          All I get are Dang Insults and physics lessons! Censored
          :D LOL :D

Sheesh! This guy just doesn't get it! Having a tube that floats doesn't hack it. THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM or the solution!:eek:
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Try typing with one finger for a while and see how much editing you have to do. :mad:

Mike,
            A person will almost float, but they float a lot better if there's a life-jacket around them.
            And what have you done here? Changed the size of the 'torpedo casing' (the person) by strapping on a life jacket. You made the bulk of the person bigger and the overall weight lighter for the mass. Do the Maths, do the Physics. Why won't you learn this?

Comment

• toppack
              Rear Admiral
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
              You made the overall weight lighter for the mass.
              Yes, that's Exactly what I want to do with the 'Floating Tubing'. ;)
              Last edited by toppack; 04-17-2009, 10:09 PM.
              Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Yes, that's Exactly what I want to do with the 'Floating Tubing'. ;)
                Floating Tube indeed! :rolleyes: What did Merriman tell you?

Your torpedo shape and size is driven by SCALE! For a given scale your torpedo has a given diameter and length. Work out the volume for that model torpedo.

So. lets hear the scale and overall dimension of the torpedo. We'll see if we can get this through your noddle! OD and length of torpedo please.

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

O.D. of the torpedos is 7/16"
                  Length, not including propeller area, is about 4.6" max.
                  Her measurements are 38-24-36. ;)
                  The bow and stern of the torpedos are the same shape as her 38s. :D
                  Is that enough Info for your calculations, Mr Wizard?

If you don't know where I can get floating tubing, you could just say so. :D LOL :D
                  Last edited by toppack; 04-17-2009, 10:00 PM.
                  Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

Is that enough Info for your calculations, Mr Wizard?

If you don't know where I can get floating tubing, you could just say so. :D LOL :D
                    First off, you should be doing these calculations.
                    Secondly, even if I did know where you could find the 'Scotch Mist' you seek, I wouldn't tell you. You haven't earned it, because you are not prepared to do your homework.

Using http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/...ndervolume.php
                    Volume of your torpedo is 11.33 cc or .69 cu ins (I'm not doing this with Imperial weights - get with it America)

Therefore weight of 11.33 cc of water is 113.3 gms

Therefore the total weight of your torpedo including motor, casing, endcaps, and BATTERIES has to be less than 113.3 gms to make it float.

Now, what options does that leave you?

Make the casing as light as possible - aluminum. This gives you more space. Make the batteries smaller or lighter. Make the motor smaller.

Or -- give up your idea completely and wait for a gas operated system to hit the market that has been proven to work and has all these problems ironed out!

Comment

• toppack
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Nov 2008

Or Find some 'Floating Tubing' that will Fix Everything! :cool: :D

I really appreciate the effort Mike, but I've done practical testing that shows I need more flotation.
                      Math calulations are needed but I'm past that point in development. I now need to find parts that will work. Math is a tool, but does not help with a scrounged collection of components that do the job. :)
                      Thanks for the help, but not the Nasties. :rolleyes: :D LOL

gms...........gms..........I think I have some of those in my underware drawer. ;)
                      BTW: When I did the math it came out at 3.9 ounces max., but not sure if that's correct or not, because the total weight of the parts is less than that and it still sinks.
                      Maybe it's because I did not use Gram measurements? :)
                      Last edited by toppack; 04-18-2009, 09:37 AM.
                      Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Good Luck!

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Math calculations are needed but I'm past that point in development. I now need to find parts that will work. Math is a tool, but does not help with a scrounged collection of components that do the job. :)

Maybe it's because I did not use Gram measurements? :)
                          I think I may have found most of your problems.
                          Your research is off. The size of the 21" torpedo used on T Class British boats was- 21' 7" long and 21" diameter. See http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTBR_WWII.htm Scaled to your model at 1:48 the model torpedo should be .4375" diam and 5.39" long which = approx .8 cu inches or 13.1 cc. This is approx 2cc LARGER than your original figures, which means you should make the torpedo case larger, which means it should be more buoyant.

Past the point of using maths and physics in development eh? :rolleyes:

Now I'm done! Thread closed.

Comment

Working...