X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

Charging???!!!

I have a question regarding the charger sold on the sub driver website.
    The charger has a T type connector on it, usually reserved for power in/out connections only. The batteries sold on the website have the traditional white BALANCE connector (don't know the name) usually reserved for charging, as well as the T-connector for power out. Does this charger connect directly to the power out connector of the battery, ignoring the white balance charging connector??
    Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Kim Sleep; 06-24-2015, 12:08 PM.
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kim Sleep
    I have a question regarding the charger sold on the sub driver website.
    The charger has a T type connector on it, usually reserved for power in/out connections only. The batteries sold on the website have the traditional white BALANCE connector (don't know the name) usually reserved for charging, as well as the T-connector for power out. Does this charger connect directly to the power out connector of the battery, ignoring the white balance charging connector??
    Thanks in advance...
    No need to balance charge our submarine batteries -- we're not competitive drivers. Don't sweat it. Charge through the two-pronged plug and you're gold, Kim.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
      Captain
      • Jan 2015

I’m not going to argue with his majesty I’m just going to explain to him why I’m right.

NO I DON’T WANT TO BE RIGHT, THAT STATE OF MIND START WARS

(he will call me a ***^¨¨¨*****$$**pain in the ass anyway, but that aside)

I just want to point out there is a middle way in buying an expensive top notch top dollar charger with balancing ports and a charger with no balancing ports like the subdriver charger.

In my opinion you need to balance multi cell packs, if not with every charge then certainly on a regular basis.
      Balancing Li-Po battery packs ensures that each cell matches the voltage of the other one, or as closely as possible, your LiPo's will live longer.

You can by a separate Li-Po balancer and use it in conjunction with the Subdriver charger, and they’re not expensive.
      This way you have all the goodies for less money and you LiPo’s will last forever.

Grtz,
      Bart
      Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Kim Sleep
        Commander
        • Nov 2013

Thank you both very much, as per usual, my question has been answered in a intelligent answer. Both of you have experience far beyond my level, and I am lucky to be able to tap into it.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

I have no argument with Bart. He's absolutely right. But, my basic approach, though tough on the battery, and results a less than ideal cycle life, is good enough for us. I've got six-year old packs that I use on a regular bases that I've never balanced. I'm sure if we analyzed them we would find a significantly reduced capacity from factory fresh because of the differential voltages between the cells.

I'm the pragmatic sort -- good enough is less aggravating than the expense and effort required to approach perfection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	98933 Click image for larger version

Name:	099.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	98934

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
            Commander
            • Nov 2013

Ok, while I have everyones attention, in regard to batteries...what is the best way to store lipos over a long term (such as winter), as well as short term

Comment

• bwi 971
              Captain
              • Jan 2015

If you Charge them at half of their capacity you will be fine......when you need them you can fully charge them, no harm done they don't have a memory like the NiCa.

Grtz,
              Bart
              Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

Working...