X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jenels4
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2014

1/72 Gato Submarine

Im starting to build my 1/72 gato and need a little advice, hahaha. Anyway I decided to drill out all the vent holes on the deck, but my drill started to melt the plastic and probably should have stopped there, but I didnt. I then bought a set called BIG RED that includes a lot of PE, expecially all of the decking. So I follow the directions and it says to remove the decking in whole pieces of it to replcae with the PE decks provided in the set. I did use my dremel with a thin disc to cut out the plastic, but again and I knew would happen, it started and did melt the plastic. My question is what is the best way to cut out plastic on this kit without doing more damage to the area you dont want to melt?
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Do it slooooowly.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0171.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	92683 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	92684 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0039.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	92685 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0040.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	92686 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0054.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	92687

and use new, virgin, sharp, rotory saws .... not that nasty one at the bottom of the drawer that was used for glass work last week!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jenels4
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Oct 2014

Well I did do it slowly when I cutted out the plastic deck and have applied stringers to glue the PE decking to the hull. While doing that and taking a break I slowly went thru the threads on this site. I came to the conclusion that I should buy the DVD for the Gato build. I was extremely impressed by the build of Matt for the "I finally started" build of his Gato. I then went thru other builds that people have done and saved them to a folder for future reference. I do have a question, I ordered a EZ SD for my 1/96 Alpha submarine that I bought from a person on this website and Im curious if I could use that system, which is a single prop, and convert it to a Gato SD? I mean can the "motor" part be exchanged and use one WTC/SD for both subs? Or after thinking about it I would imagine the SD for the Gato is not a dynamic SD.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jenels4
          Well I did do it slowly when I cutted out the plastic deck and have applied stringers to glue the PE decking to the hull. While doing that and taking a break I slowly went thru the threads on this site. I came to the conclusion that I should buy the DVD for the Gato build. I was extremely impressed by the build of Matt for the "I finally started" build of his Gato. I then went thru other builds that people have done and saved them to a folder for future reference. I do have a question, I ordered a EZ SD for my 1/96 Alpha submarine that I bought from a person on this website and Im curious if I could use that system, which is a single prop, and convert it to a Gato SD? I mean can the "motor" part be exchanged and use one WTC/SD for both subs? Or after thinking about it I would imagine the SD for the Gato is not a dynamic SD.
          Lot's of good dope here on the 1/72 GATO.

Don't go cheap on us ... get the proper two-motor SD for the GATO. Other than the 3.5" SD's, I don't manufacture sub-assemblies for sale anymore. The GATO SD is of the SAS type, which makes it a static diving type WTC.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

The DVD is great especially if you are using the fittings kit and correct Sub-Driver. There is a lot of information on those discs.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2013

As a beginner myself I can say thru extensive reading of this forum that building a sub should be a job done right first time, there are No short cuts with RC subs! (Unless you have two subs of similar size for same SD, otherwise get the correct SD for boat you wish to do...)

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• jenels4
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Oct 2014

I have put together the bow section and Im pondering the stern section on best way to do this. Im at a confusing point in watching the Gato DVD states to cut the skag off and later add it to the skag system with RTV seallant. DVD video really doesnt show assembly of it. Its very quick showing a screw in the assemblers hand but not how to put it on. Later in the viewing of the skag in the DVD it is attached. How I ask?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

you cut the skag, then later you will tap a couple of holes for a 2-56 screw. Actually you do not need to tap it, just thread the screw down. I added some plastic into the skag to give a little more bit for the screw. You can glue the skag down once you have the dive plane installed, but I wanted the option to remove it. In the past 2+ years, I have not had the need to.

oh and read through the posting of my build, I sometimes had to change direction, so do not go step by step.
                  Last edited by trout; 02-24-2015, 03:25 PM.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...