X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

I'm BAAACCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!

okay.. not entirely .. but close... put that sharp pointy thing down Dave... and the hammer, yeah I see you back there...

so I miss my boats, and my sub :( ... but my last run at a sub I did very wrong for a newbie... I bought a nearly complete one mostly built and spent most of the time redoing a fair bit of it before getting to the important stuff.

this time I would really like the input of the professionals on their opinion of which of these 3 subs to go for first (I do want all 3, but yeah, 1 at a time LOL)

- 1/230 revell skipjack - this one being the most economical ...and least 'stuff' intensive ...but its also the smallest ...which means tiny tiny fiddly things for my 'broken' ham fists (its also a discontinued kit and I don't want to miss it)

- 1/72 Mobius skipjack.. its big... it's nuke sub with way less fragile bits then the really cool looking old fleet boats... but it's also pretty expensive... and while over all expense doesn't really bother me ... it will bother the build timeline LOL

- 1/72 revell Gato - it's just...awesome, it's a fleet boat, it's got guns and such, it's big.. and it also appears to have a WAY nicer hull cut line then the type VII for working on the innards. theres a fair amount of military based sails around here specially wwII so it would fit very well .

I would also like to hear if someone has a non caswell based suggesting... but honestly the quality, repore, etc ... I'd rather use the caswell kits... cause even while Daves yelling at me ..... he's still giving me the proper information I need to move forward.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Best 'first' boats:

Thor 1/96 STURGEON
    Thor 1/96 PERMIT
    Thor 1/96 LOS ANGELES
    Caswell-Merriman 1/96 SKIPJACK
    Moebius 1/72 SKIPJACK

Using our SD's of course.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Of the three you mentioned , the choice is easy..........................1/72 Skipjack. Why? Youll be on the water quicker with the most user friendly of the three. Your building confidence will be built up by the experience to then go and tackle the other two.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Hmmm. Was expecting the 1/96 boats will be easier.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
          Hmmm. Was expecting the 1/96 boats will be easier.
          Maybe you should try one, Romel. It would get you out of that 1/144 KILO slump you're in.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

GRP hulls are way way out of my budget. Thank you for styrene kits. Went with the Bronco Type XXIII instead of the Skipjack.

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless

- 1/72 Mobius skipjack.. its big... it's nuke sub with way less fragile bits then the really cool looking old fleet boats... but it's also pretty expensive... and while over all expense doesn't really bother me ... it will bother the build timeline LOL
              This boat sells at list for $130. If you shop around, it's much less. We have it on sale for $85.00 I can't see how that is expensive. But I see you've chosen the Bronco. I like that model too. What did you pay for it?
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Reckless
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2012

I thinks you got a couple of us mixed up... the 'expensive' I was talking about was the whole sub project price .. (model, SD, electronics, etc) versus the whole price for the baby skipjack

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Keep in mind capability as well. The 1/230 Skipjack is a Dynamic diver, no room for a ballast tank. The lower overall cost equals less submarine.

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

aye ... I wrote the original top post twice and I guess the second time through I missed something lol

overall cost doesn't bother me in the end for a quality product ... just the more expensive will lengthen the build time LOL ...

the only reason I 'compare' the 2 skipjacks .. is yes there is a big price gap from the two... and yes the lil one being dynamic is cheaper, but dynamic has less crap inside to mess with ... it's also tiny so theres tons of lil breaky stuff inside

the 1/72 skipjack is bigger, more expensive ..but has full systems on board ... and it's big theres less tiny little crap inside.. and it's a nuke sub so theres not a bunch of crap for my ham fists to snap off the outside

I pretty much made my 'conclusion' that I was heading towards the 1/72 skipjack first ... just wanted to see if there was a bit of a unanimous 'nah man, hit that baby sub first you'll be fine' ...

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

1/72 Skipjack is a great first sub. I think you chose wisely! Welcome back!
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
                        This boat sells at list for $130. If you shop around, it's much less. We have it on sale for $85.00 I can't see how that is expensive. But I see you've chosen the Bronco. I like that model too. What did you pay for it?
                        Think you got me mixed up with reckless...

Anyway, I ordered my Type 23 from a hobby shop who gets it from Hannants in the UK. Paid around $104 for it.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Redboat, do you have any Hobby Shops on the islands or do you have to order everything shipped in? Yes , Im nosy.

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

We have 3 major hobby shops that I know of. Some scattered small shops cater to the RC crowd. Unfortunately, most are in the capital Manila.
                            They carry most brands like Tamiya, Revell, Italeri, Trumpeter etc.

Subs are not a common subject so had to go special order with the 23.
                            Last edited by redboat219; 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...