Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

My understanding of the Tmax system is that the last 15% is proportional, with feedback supplied by a linear slider on the tank.

If that is the case, it could be a dirty slider/pot.

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Correct. The last 15% is proportional. How do I effectively clean the pot?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Isopropanol alcohol works well (this is what is used for cleaning tape heads for instance). You can usually get it from chemists. You can also get cleaners like Deoxit, which are used for cleaner pots faders etc. in the recording industry. Very good stuff, but expensive.

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Got some in the shed. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Okay. Just 'paint' a bit in with a small clean brush and work the pot back and forth a few times. Obviously check simple things like the wiring from the pot to the board. It's highly unlikely you are experiencing radio interference issues- the Engel boards use relays which have close to ideal separation between low level signals from the receiver and power cabling.

If cleaning doesn't fix it, you may require a new pot.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Thanks. I'll get onto it in the morning and see what happens. I should add that Gregor Engel came back to me within a very short time and suggested separating the signal and power lines and putting a ferrite ring on the signal line.

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

OK. Cleaned the pots as suggested and retried the system but got the same glitching. So, following a bit of experimentation I adjusted the end points on the two transmitter slider channels to 80% either way and, voila! No more glitch. Its as steady as a rock and behaves according to the script. There's no suggestion that this might be necessary in any of the documentation that comes with the TMax by the way. Maybe its an unusual thing.

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Very odd, sounds like a possible bug in the firmware of the controller.

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

I had a long exchange with Gregor Engel regarding this. He has a similar set up in one of his own boats and at one point he went through all of his own settings just to check. Turns out that here is no requirement to reduce the slider end points on his gear, both are set at 100%.

I'm glad its fixed; that thing was rocking and rolling like drunk with St Vitus Dance. Just in the process of shovelling it all back into the hull.

Comment

Working...