X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewnimmo
    Commander
    • Dec 2011

OTW Subs vs. Revell Subs

Ok, so I know that we can convert Revell models into RC builds. But, I've also seen a few kits from http://www.otwdesigns.com as well .... with huge price tags.

1) Why are they so expensive?
    2) How do they compair to Revell models?
    3) Worth the price? I'm considering the http://www.otwdesigns.com/products/g...-wwii/seehund/ after my Gato project (if i ever finish it) but, that's over $700 for just the model and doesn't include the WTC, electronics, etc....so what is one actually buy?

Thanks,
    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

It's simple Injection molding versus Hand Lay-up fiberglass.

One is for mass production of thousands and a high initial mold cost and the other is for short runs, cheaper mold costs but more labor intensive.

You can make considerable savings by using a Sub-driver v an OTW WTC.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Don't forget the OTW boats will be made from GRP, a very much stronger and resilient material than injection formed unreinforced polystyrene, and much easier to repair when your model sustains damage (notice I said when and not if).

Also the kits are very much larger than models from Revell etc. and include things like investment cast props and fittings.

OTW kits have never been cheap, Bob runs a business not a charity, but they do come under the category of a premium product. Everything fits nicely and the products are well researched. There are cheaper kits out there, but they generally require a good deal more effort on behalf of the builder, and the quality of the mouldings is often inferior.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

With regard to size, the USA market seems to prefer the smaller models and Styrene models have pretty much adapted the 1:72 scale, whereas the European market goes for a variety of larger sizes. Many of these don't sit well on the back seat of a car (too big) and it's more difficult to get a fleet of boats in the same scale.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

In the UK I've not noticed modellers going for a specific scale or the providers of the kits for that matter, the OTW range is all over the place scale wise.

I think modellers tend to purchase for what is available from local suppliers, or they grow their own.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
            Don't forget the OTW boats will be made from GRP, a very much stronger and resilient material than injection formed unreinforced polystyrene, and much easier to repair when your model sustains damage (notice I said when and not if).

Also the kits are very much larger than models from Revell etc. and include things like investment cast props and fittings.

OTW kits have never been cheap, Bob runs a business not a charity, but they do come under the category of a premium product. Everything fits nicely and the products are well researched. There are cheaper kits out there, but they generally require a good deal more effort on behalf of the builder, and the quality of the mouldings is often inferior.
            Got to agree with everything stated above from Andy.

And some of the recent OTW kits are based on research and masters built by Darrin Hataway -- The best in the game these days.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Got to agree with everything stated above from Andy.

And some of the recent OTW kits are based on research and masters built by Darrin Hataway -- The best in the game these days.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                Commander
                • Dec 2011

Awesome! thanks guys for the information. So, with the OTW kits; do they also come precut (mainly for the WTC) or are all the pics that i've seen been cut by the modelers? Also, if they are precut ... what other steps are done to the kits that one typically has to do from the ground up with Revell models?
                ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

It depends on the model. Many of the kits from OTW come in two halves, leaving it to the builder to decide where to cut the hull. This also makes for a simpler mould/tooling, so probably helps keep the price down on those models. Some kits, like the Seehund you mentioned, come with a pre-moulded hatch, so this reduces the work the builder has to do, but may push up the price a bit, as the tooling and moulding process will be more sophisticated.

OTW models are not really as comprehensive as one of Dave's kit or say and Engel boat- they don't come with every little nut bolt and widget. They are more like premium hull kits, with optional WTC available and some hardware.

Although plenty of people have built an OTW for a first submarine, I think they're best tackled as a second submarine project IMO, when you have a bit of experience under your belt.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Ditto on what Andy said. I've built the OTW Seehund, two Type VII's and the Upholder. All beautiful models, but they are not beginner boats. They are worth the money due to fit and finish. The Type VII in particular is nothing short of epic in scale and detail.

For a first timer, however, go with the styrene conversion kits. You'll be out a quarter of the money and get the chance to work with complete and comprehensive kits that have product and service support from great companies like Caswell. Everything you need can be sourced and the instructions will be available to get it wet with the least amount of issue.

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

I had the OTW Valiant for a while. I was given some bad advice on where to make the aft cut on the upper hull, and I had a pig of a job getting the yokes inside the tail. I ended up making another cut about 3" from the end and gluing the middle bit back onto the upper hull section. I never did get it right and I lost interest in it. It was one of my first boats and I shouldn't have attempted it at that time. I don't like cigar tubes anyway, so that is why it now lingers in Merriman's shed. (Unless he flogged it).

I would have liked the control surfaces to have had the shafts molded in place. It was very difficult to get the dive planes right. There were no instructions. Bob just send me a bunch of photos and I had to make the most of them.

I was glad to see the back of it. On reflection, I could do a better job of it now, having screwed up a lot more projects. Is that called a learning curve?

As Andy said, it's a good hull, but there was very little detail on it. (Is there ever on a cigar hull?)

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Valiant is a beautiful boat- our Skipjack. The Dreadnought preceded it, but that literally was a Skipjack or 50% of one at any rate. The Valiant was pure British design, and a much more handsome boat than later hunter killers.

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Valiant is a beautiful boat.
                          Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I guess. I prefer a boat to have lotsa noisy, dangerous stuff over it, guns and things like that. It's dangerous look is its beauty - to me. Nukes look like logs (except the Skipjack - sort of like that one).

Comment

• ffr2608
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Oct 2009

Dave, You are too kind. What do you want for that plug...... I recently finished up an OTW Nacken. You can see the type of work required to get one of his boats on the water. Keep in mind, mine has a custom WTC so that work would not be required if you bought an OTW dive module. They are really slick and integrate well into his hulls.
                            Darrin
                            You can see the build here: http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...EAD-HMS-Neptun

Comment

Working...