can you use a sub driver on more than one boat?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegry
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2013

can you use a sub driver on more than one boat?

Just brainstorming and wondering if this is possible.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

If my memory serves me (and that is not always the case) D&E initially promoted their Sub-Driver (trademarked name only for his systems) as swappable. I do not know if it was practical or marketing, but it became more one wtc per sub. If you can get one WTC to work in several subs, go for it. I am sure it could be done. There are a lot of variables in each sub.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Bob Martin used a 2" Sub driver (Kilo or Seawolf) onboard his 1/69th scale (31") Total Immersion Disney Nautilus model.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Tom is right. As introduced in the early 90's and today, the WTC/Sub-driver is a removable system that can serve more than one boat hull. The variable Tom mentions are classed as: power requirement, variable ballast weight, number of shafts to be driven, and number of functions to be served.

The line of D&E Miniatures WTC's started out as 3" and 3.5" WTC's offered in either two ore single shaft configurations. The 3" WTC's had fixed volume ballast tanks and the 3.5" featured a variable volume type ballast tank (a hand-cranked piston determined the ballast tanks floodable volume.

Today, with our association with the Caswell Company, we produce WTC/Sub-drivers of many different diameters and ballast tank volumes -- these SD's are specific to a particular subject and scale, but do find use on model submarines of like requirements. So, yes, today's SD can find appliction in more than one boat. The economy of using one SD in more than one hull is obviouse. The variables of trim are delt with within the hull of the model, the only constant being the size of the SD's ballast tank. You can trim a boat properly if the ballast tank is larger than required, but you will wind up with a boat who's freeboard is too low if the ballast tank is not big enough.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

The major problem is always the ballast tank size.

We do have a swappable system in the 3.5" Sub-drivers, where you can buy the Motor bulkhead and equipment tray, then buy the Cylinder with ballast bulkheads installed.

As long as the setup is for similar sized boats. you could put all your equipment into the motor bulkhead part, and then have two or three cylinders where you've made the ballast tank to the correct size. Seeing as the electronics and the motor bulkhead sections are the most expensive, this would make good economy.

I think we listed somewhere all the boats the new Skipjack Sub-driver would fit into.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Warpatroller
            Lieutenant
            • Dec 2012

Sure you can! Just by two of the same boat like I did. It is sure to work in both of them :biggrin: My silly answer..
            "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

Working...