X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlabow
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2012

Independent Shaft Control

I'm a squeeky new newbie to submarine RC although I have lots of experience with surface RC. I have viewed Dave's 5 DVD series on the 1/72 Gato and have been lurking on the forum for a while so this is the first of what will doubtless be a long series of questions. With scale surface ships there is a big advantage to independent control of the shafts in twin shaft craft since it allows the handling to mimic the real thing pretty closely. Is this possible/worth doing in the 1/72 Gato. Specifically, can an extra speed controller be shoehorned into the equipment space? My tired old AM Ace Nautical Commander is over the hill...does anyone have any experience with the Robbe F14 Navy twin throttle radio?

Thanks for your patience,
    Joel Labow
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

hey, Joel,

You've seen me in action, and you still want to talk to me?!

What's wrong with you!

There's room in the 2.5 GATO SD for a second ESC. Sure, differential use of the shafts is possible and relatively easy to achieve. Just re-wire the motors and you're good to go.

Get the WFly computer transmitter, unless you are stuck on the superior two-stick throttle set up of the F-14.

Welcome aboard, mind the Snipes.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlabow
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Oct 2012

Snipe avoidance/twin throttle control

Dave,
      Whew...thanks for letting me live! WRT snipes, I tried never to set foot below the main deck unless I was compelled (I was WEAPS/NAV) back in the 60's)! I have downloaded the WFLY manual from the site and I don't see how it could be configured to control 2 throttles.

Joel

Comment

• Aug 2008

hey, shipmate ...

No, the WFly transmitter won't work if you want two side-by-side throttle sticks. Isn't there a Futaba F-14 look-alike now that's programable? if so, that's the way to go. I loved the Nautical Commander, but Ace never got into the progammable channel game, so they fadded into history. With these boats you simply must have the ability to set end-points, and move functions around the face of the transmitter.

If you're handy, buy the WFly-8 transmitter and graft all the boards into a gutted Ace Nautical Commander, but you'll be hard pressed to find real-estate to mount the LCD. Other than that ... you're screwed!

Hope Andy Lawrance has an option I don't see for you. Andy?.....

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Last edited by redboat219; 11-05-2012, 05:08 AM.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good catch, Romel. Very informative threads.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Thanks David. This thing will be great to use not only on a 1/72 Gato but also the big Type VIIs from Graupner and coming soon from Arkmodel.
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• jlabow
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Oct 2012

Thanks to all...I'm not sure that I will be able to summon the intestinal fortitude to rip the guts out of a brand new transmitter!

Joel

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by jlabow
                  Thanks to all...I'm not sure that I will be able to summon the intestinal fortitude to rip the guts out of a brand new transmitter!

Joel
                  I hear you, Joel. Me neither. Is the F-16 a two-stick (throttle) computer radio?

Just found this site: http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalo...2c3b87819287b8 you can get a 'navy' version with two-sticks for throttle. Looks like what you need.

David
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-05-2012, 10:31 PM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlabow
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Oct 2012

David,
                    I agree...I'm looking into a second mortgage!

Joel

Comment

• Aug 2008

LOL. Yeah. This in not a poor man's game.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• satlite440
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jul 2012

so i had a question for the salty dogs? with this concern(i know finnish the vIIc 1st) but i wonder if anyone has any experence with this esc/mixer..i was contemplateing it before i went with the vIIc 2inch s/d instead of the build your own s/d from kit.but later as i grow i was thinking i would like to try one of these for a rear 2inch moterbulkhead&equipment tray to have semi moter control of a true twin stick with only 1 throttle.. don't know if you would have to use their esc'shttp://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php or not ......am kinda a newbie as to lipo's&modern electronics stuff as i am only returning to r/c after 15yrs...but it was something i was going to ask hwsnbm his thoughts about if it would fit the mixer&2 esc's in place of the micro viper 10.i like that if you want you can get it without a case... and the $ seemed reasonable and i am unaware of a comperable product..... sorry ignore the top listing scroll down to the mixers

Comment

• satlite440
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jul 2012

any thoughts gentilemen?

Comment

• Aug 2008

No experience. No comment.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I do not have experience with the mixer, but does the sub need it? As I understand and will soon find out, the type VII has very good maneuverability as it is. The site is cool and all. I looked at this site a while ago for the Aluminaut - the circuit boards are too big.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...