X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KURT250
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2012

need advice

have a old 1/72 alfa. its finished, have a 3.5 inch wtc from dave. all the old r.c. gear ether works some time or not at all. i need to get a complete new r.c. radio and reciver. have a viper marine 15 amp speed control, a adf2 angle driver with failsafe, wtc is powered buy a graupner 500 e 12 volt motor, battery is a 4500 m.a.h. 7.2 volt . my sub has forward, reverse, blow or vent ballast tank, right or left rudder, and rear dive planes. please keep it simple, what r.c receiver and transmitter should i get? i would like a 6 channel unit so i could expand on my next sub. also what other items should i get, if any. simple strait answers would be greatly appreciated. i'm new to this hobby and it will take time to learn all the ins and outs of it. thank you, kurt250
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Wfly eight-channel 'computer' transmitter. Sombral Labs SL-8 receiver, 5-volt BEC, two 3000mAh 11.1-volt Lithium-polymer batteries, lipo charger, Lipo-Guard, and a standad sized servo for the bow planes. All available from sub-driver.com.

Simple, as you requested.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KURT250
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jul 2012

dave, thanks

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by KURT250
        dave, thanks
        I saw your order come in last night, Thanks
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

If it has not been in the water for a long time and not prepared for storage, you may need new seals. A simple wtc test in the tub will help determine that. I agree with David on the other parts. The TX and RX are a great combo.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• KURT250
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jul 2012

trout, your correct. when i put the alfa into the test tank i made i found a small amount of water in the wtc. since i'm rebuilding the whole r. c. system guess i should replace the seals. i also had a lot of servo twitch in the dive planes. i had a old level controller connected . this was all old equiptment. all over ten years old, thats why i'm starting fresh. i'm sure i'll need much more advice as i go along. thanks to all. kurt250

Comment

• Aug 2008

Cough up the dough and spring for a new SD. Send us all your money.

Twitching of an angle-keeper is to be expected when you fire up the motor. Or is it spazing out without any motors running near by?

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Cough up the dough and spring for a new SD. Send us all your money.

David
                Yea! Wot he said! (Good work David!)

Comment

• KURT250
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jul 2012

david, the servo twitching was constant with or with out the motor running. what does Wot mean? i get the feeling some people on this web site like running people down. thats a great way to get people into this hobby and to join the subcommittee. just a thought. kurt250

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

David and Mike are just being playful. Wot - translates into "what".

If your running an old D&E WTC of 3.5" variety there are some very good reasons to upgrade.
                    First you'll have SNORT / SAS capability
                    Second, you'll have something new
                    but third, and as Veteran of three 1/72 Alfa builds listen up, - the new 3.5' Subdriver has a forward battery compartment, the old version did not have this and relied on a wet battery usually a SLA. The Alfa needs all the help it can get turning and lightening up the load, via a light weight power source in the dry section will help - significantly. You also won't have the inevitable / eventual water ingress to wet battery / WTC connections.

Fourth - unlike other ballast systems touted on other websites, David and Mike stand behind their products. If problems arise, help is on hand.

Enjoy

Best
                    J
                    Last edited by Slats; 09-03-2012, 12:38 AM.
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• KURT250
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jul 2012

j, my wtc has the wet battery. and that has been a problem. what can i do about that besides buying a new wtc? have a type 7 wtc on order . should i just retire the alfa and concentrate on the 1/72 type 7? thanks, kurt250

Comment

• Aug 2008

That's a good plan. One headache at a time. Do the Type-7 project and get acquainted with the way we do things in the 21st Century.

Then, at your leisure, re-evaluate what you want to do with your ALFA. We're here to help. Let's get that Type-7 running first.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KURT250
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jul 2012

dave, thanks thats good advice. will put alfa into the red lead fleet until another time. concentrate on type 7 them the goto.will stay in touch as i go along. thanks to all, kurt250

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by KURT250
                            i get the feeling some people on this web site like running people down.
                            Aha! These young whippersnappers!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Kurt's doing it right. Crawl, walk, and only after that, RUN!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...