newbie silly question... maintence.. pushrods...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

newbie silly question... maintence.. pushrods...

so I took the plunge and bought nearly completed 1/72 VIIC with a Subdriver from IR3 ... now I imagine the documentation he mentioned comming with it will probably have alot of the info I'm asking about .. but thought I would ask anyways to see what I can find/have comming before it gets here

my main question is about the grease to use for the WTC seal rings, and the pushrod seals?

and he mentioned I'll need to pick up pushrods... what should I be getting? and I see from a post about hooking up all the shafts to the WTC looks like magnets are used ... is there a kit ? or?

thanks
    Reckless
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Let's wait till you get the package before we sweat what you need.

The pushrods are 1/16" brass rod. Lubricate the pushrods and propeller shafts (where then pass through the cup-type seals) with silicon oil or silicon grease (distributor grease -- car care stores have it).

magnetic connectors are provided with the fittings kit and SD -- they should be coming along with the major elements of your package. If not, I'll fix you up.

As to your home-work assignment tonight: search out all Revell Type-7 threads I'm involved in at our and the other submarine sites and read up!

PLEASE! ... tell me you have r/c vehicle experience?!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

yes I do... wet R/C vehicles too! ... I DL'd all the setup, Type 7 and anything else document wise I could find off the caswell site side...

I've been trying to find anything I can on the type 7 and the SD for it .. here and elsewhere (same screen name)

the particular things I asked above where just a couple small things I've never seen discussed or mentioned...

far as I understand from talking to IR3, all I need is pushrods, a transmitter (has a SL8 in the SD already) ... minor final assembly, paint and trim out ...

but yeah.. I guess just 'excited' ... jumping back into RC boating after a 3 year hiatus .. kid on Xmas right now as I've wanted a larger scale sub for a long while...

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

PLEASE! ... tell me you have r/c vehicle experience?!

David
        Tell him to mind his own darned business! Give him a soapbox!
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ha!..................
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Kazzer
            Tell him to mind his own darned business! Give him a soapbox!
            I can tell him .... but will he listen? ... eh.. given what I've seen lurking in the subforums of what he's had to deal with... it is a valid question... LOL

Comment

• Aug 2008

You're not helping .... MIKE!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2012

oh! .. on the maintence side of things.. just cause I am curious more then anything ... (subs in the hands of USPS . heading towards the border as we speak)

between days at the lake ...the WTC should be removed and opened up to breathe and air out any moisture? ... should all the shaft seals, and endcap orings be greased everytime it's put back together? ... is there any issues with possible overgreasing? (other then a mess?)

Comment

• Aug 2008

I have broken preventive maintenance and routine chores into thee parts: Pre-Mission (tasks performed to integrate the SD and model and to make both ready for transport); Mission (tasks to perform while operating the model); and Post-Mission (preservation and shut-down tasks to fix problems found, safe the SD, charge up the batteries, and recommended storage options for SD and model).

Perform these chores and you will encounter nearly zero problems when it comes time to play with your model submarine. Preventive maintenance is everything in the submarine game ... model and the 'real thing'. Trust me.

Check out the SD downloads on our site and look for, 'mission checks'.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

finally found the damned movie of the missions checks... had to find another player to watch it too... stupid windows xp .. LOL

yeah .. looks simple enough .. very similar to checks I do to all my boats day/night before a day at the lake

Subs in customs as of today (Friday) ... almost giddy over here... should see it monday or tuesday ...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Just good, sound preventive maintenance.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ManOwaR
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jul 2009

Dear Reckless,
                        How are you supposed to live up to your name if you're doing all these silly things like 'preventive maintenance' and 'pre mission checks'? I find that stories filled with disaster and catastrophe are far more entertaining to read than boring old "and the run at the lake went perfect - no problems, everyone was smiling and holding hands at the end of the day... and bla! bla! bla!"

Greetings from Calgary!
                        Joel Manowar

P.S. - Just giving you a hard time because I see that you're from the west coast and assume you must be a Nucks fan.
                        https://www.facebook.com/HMKcreations

Comment

• Reckless
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2012

hahah.. actually I have no hockey unity at all .. and firmly beleive vancouverites are homicidal morons...

and it's funny .. the callsign reckless was given too me via how I play combat type games/scenerios, racing.. etc.. I'm one of those wildcard people. I'll have a weirdo setup that shouldn't work, everyone thinks my tactics and ideas are reckless, the people in the know however and myself call it calculated risk

... Fast electrics however... yeah my name is far more suiting.. I'm still getting the hang of it ...

Comment

Working...