X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Low cost Digital Video Recorder

I'm thinking of buying one after reading a post made by local RC flyers who use this on their planes.

It retails around $32.

The unit isn't water resistant so definitely need to fabricate a small water and pressure resistant container. And according to the flyers, the camera is preprogrammed to record video every 15 min after which it makes a new folder and records on it anew.

I'm not really keen about the specs but how does it compared to the ones you guys are using?
    Last edited by redboat219; 10-20-2011, 01:33 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

My first impression is that it's not as neat as the one I have, which records continuously for hours depending on the card you insert, and is waterproof to 30 feet. So, no need to make a waterproof case. I cannot see any advantage.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• RapidNadion
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Dec 2011

We don't have anything quite that inexpensive in our inventory, but we've had excellent results from our GoPro Hero HD. A quick Google search indicates it's still in the $200 price range (even now that it's been obsoleted by the Hero2), but in our experience, it's been worth it. It'll operate in extremely low temperatures, at depths of up to 100 feet with the watertight capsule (sold separately, naturally). It also shoots at 60fps and in HD - worthwhile if you like detailed, slow-mo submergence shots.

A bit cheaper is the Muvi Veho Atom, a much smaller and lighter camera that also has a waterproof case available. It doesn't shoot in HD and won't deal with low temps as well, but Google Shopping shows them going for as low as $70. We've used ours very sparingly, but it's done right by us so far.

Hope this helps a bit.
      RapidNadion
      Scale Model Video

website | youtube | facebook | twitter

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Go pro cams are the ultimate miniature shooters, but as you pointed out the quality comes at a price. The other snag is they're very boxy, and will upset the handling of smaller models. You can pick up older models of Actioncams very cheaply these days, and they give decent enough results. They are a bit big for smaller models though.

For price versus performance you can't beat the 808 keyfob cams. They come in various guises, but there are two models you should focus on for the best performance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10pcs-lot-720x480-30fps-Mini-DV-Covert-Key-FOB-Camera-Hidden-DVR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	65632

Standard definition Version 3 and high definition (720p 30fps) version 16, which has just been released and is an improved version of the version 11.

Priced at $14 and $40 respectively, these are true budget machines, but the picture quality is superb and comparable with more expensive machines.

I've used these on aeroplanes up until now, they only weigh half an ounce, so are a light payload for the little foam aeroplanes I fly. I made some streamlined watertight housings to try them out underwater earlier this year though, so hopefully will get some underwater footage shot with the 808's in the new year.

You could do something similar with an off-cut of PVC pipe and a bit of perspex/pmma, not quite as neat looking, but equally practical.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0201.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	65630Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0202.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	65631

Comment

• RapidNadion
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Dec 2011

Wow - thanks for the heads-up on the new 808 #16. Been looking at various 808s for a long time, but there's so much hassle/research involved in trying to figure out which one to buy. As we've been moving to almost exclusively HD (except for high-speed), this new one may be the one to get! Only wish we could have it delivered before next week's scheduled shoot. :)
          RapidNadion
          Scale Model Video

website | youtube | facebook | twitter

Comment

Working...