Crazy Idea #47-steam powered Model Submarine?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Crazy Idea #47-steam powered Model Submarine?

After reading about the Ictineo that Rob was building my mind went into daydreaming mode about something different- Maybe a model of the USS Plunger. Now real steam is impractical in a model sub but a sub driven by a steam engine is not. My thoughts are a freon powered V -twin cylinder marine steam engine. The freon pressure could be regulated by a simple regulator. The steam motor could even be run wet and water lubricated (maybe) Since Freon molecules are larger then water molecules, the engine should run even better than on steam with less leakage. Next hurdle would be to test how long the motor would run on what volume of Freon?
    Feel free to comment or call me nuts! (if only there was a steam engine expert on the forum)
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 03-12-2023, 04:14 PM.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Bob, if it was someone else, I would dismiss the thread as another never to finish, but it is you and you are nuts enough to make it work!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

You've been channeling Nick Berge!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

1/10 Icteneo model with Stuart Twin steam engine running on compressed CO2

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...