X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

WTC condensation and cold water

Had a great Indian Summery run of my R-Class today. After the last run I increased the ratio on the front planes and it has improved maneuverability a lot.

The water today, after a week dropping into the 20's and 30's, was C.O.L.D. Fortunately I did not have to swim after it.

When I opened her up, the WTC was so cold that I had condensate in the compartments. No actual water ingress. Just condensate from the internal humidity.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks
    Chris
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Thorbrandr
    Had a great Indian Summery run of my R-Class today. After the last run I increased the ratio on the front planes and it has improved maneuverability a lot.

The water today, after a week dropping into the 20's and 30's, was C.O.L.D. Fortunately I did not have to swim after it.

When I opened her up, the WTC was so cold that I had condensate in the compartments. No actual water ingress. Just condensate from the internal humidity.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks
    Chris
    Water is water. Pop the endcaps off during your post mission checks and tasks and leave them off till the next pre-mission session.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Thorbrandr
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Water is water. Pop the endcaps off during your post mission checks and tasks and leave them off till the next pre-mission session.

David
      Have done that. Humidity is down currently, but it can get very humid here (like the last time I opened the WTC up).

Chris
      Last edited by Thorbrandr; 10-24-2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

You could try putting in those silica gel dessiccant packs

How about flushing the inside of the WTC with inert gas like nitrogen prior to water deployment to prevent condensation?
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
          You could try putting in those silica gel dessiccant packs

How about flushing the inside of the WTC with inert gas like nitrogen prior to water deployment to prevent condensation?
          How about simply keeping the frig'n water out in the first place!
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Thorbrandr
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

How about simply keeping the frig'n water out in the first place!
            There was NO liquid water in there. Just humid air. The water I was running in was COLD. It lowered the dew point in the WTC. Once I had it on the bench and popped the ends off, the condensation was gone in less than a minute. No liquid water to drain.

Chris

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Like your issues with slosh/ballast shifting, this is something that will happen with the OTW system because the air from the ballast tank is compressed in the fore and aft compartments. That air will be humid and will be heated slightly by the fact the air is compressed. Once it hits the cold outer walls of the cylinder the water will condense. If you want to avoid this you need to use a system that doesn't compress air from an exposed water surface.

Comment

Working...