X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

something else - ballast pump running on it's own

After some tub time working on static dive trim, and getting the leveler worked out, I took the R-10 to the beach. Overall a very good day Even got a few periscope depth fast runs in. Still have some trim adjustments, but much better overall.

The biggest issue I had was the ballast blowing slowly on it's own. I have noticed it chirp when the leveler function, and spit water out. This happened with both the now identified AST leveler and the AD2's when I tried them. It seems to be in the receiver, as the leveler and ballast controls are totally separate. Does not happen when I manually control the planes. Ballast is on channel 5 and stern planes on 6 on a VEX.

Soa couple more Silly Questions:

1. Is this normal for an OTW ballast system? Can't see why....
    2. has anyone put the ballast on a analog channel? Thinking of speed on 4 and ballast on 3.

I have another receiver I am going to try, but need to work out the antenna extension.

Thanks
    Chris
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

1. Is this normal for an OTW ballast system? Can't see why....

Nope. Sounds like interference or a duff ballast controller.

2. has anyone put the ballast on a analog channel? Thinking of speed on 4 and ballast on 3.​

Do you mean a proportional channel? Should work on proportional or a switched channel.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Ditto to Andy's answer. Typically you want ballast on an analog channel so that the controller has a solid "on" or "off" signal coming from the transmitter. I believe the pump controller trips at something like 50% signal, which would be a halfway position of the stick. It works, but not ideal.

Comment

Working...