X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hywel
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2022

Carbon Fibre Pushrods

I bought a bunch of 500mm carbon fiber rods to reinforce my hull, but then found 1000mm ones that will work much better.

I figure I can use the short ones for the rudder/dive plane surfaces but what do y’all think of using hem for pushrods? They have a little flex so if things get jammed up they could be more forgiving than straight up brass rod, but…anyone used them like this though?

Thoughts?

cheers,

- hywel
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Say a small grit of sand got wedged between the hull and stern plane right after you commanded a dive. You pull back and nothing happens, the control rods just bowing everytime the servo moves. A rigid rod could transmit the power needed to dislodge the jam.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

What diameter rods?

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

I would suggest tubes not rods-fill the tube with foam...VERY rigid. CF rods and tubes are pricey with min buy...

I am now going with a Sullivan control cable in guide tube-(plastic in plastic with provision for a 2/56 ss treaded coupling rod to connect a Dubro plastic quick link) -No metal to metal/inexpensive/ readily available/ RC model aircraft proven/ no trapped air /flex if needed and no corrosion.

Comment

• hywel
          Lieutenant
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by SubDude
          What diameter rods?
          That would’ve been helpful to share right? 3mm

Comment

• hywel
            Lieutenant
            • Aug 2022

Originally posted by redboat219
            Say a small grit of sand got wedged between the hull and stern plane right after you commanded a dive. You pull back and nothing happens, the control rods just bowing everytime the servo moves. A rigid rod could transmit the power needed to dislodge the jam.
            Good point. The brass stuff will show up in a few weeks, I can use this stuff for other projects. Thanks!

Comment

• hywel
              Lieutenant
              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Bob Gato
              I would suggest tubes not rods-fill the tube with foam...VERY rigid. CF rods and tubes are pricey with min buy...

I am now going with a Sullivan control cable in guide tube-(plastic in plastic with provision for a 2/56 ss treaded coupling rod to connect a Dubro plastic quick link) -No metal to metal/inexpensive/ readily available/ RC model aircraft proven/ no trapped air /flex if needed and no corrosion.
              Sounds like a good plan for the next boat (oh there will be another if my tanks are anything to go by!). Cheers!

Comment

Working...