X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpaceFaringOrBust
    Ensign
    • Aug 2022

New guy here trying to get his son into a project he can be proud of

Hello everyone. My name is Stephen and I live in Northeast Georgia. I noticed that Subfest is only 2.5 hours from me and recently my 13 year old son and I discussed building a pair of R/C submarines to have naval battles with. I think this would be a great opportunity to get him excited about building something like a fully functional submarine. I built one as a teenager, but I didn't have anyone to explain Boyles Law and my dive planes were sitting about 2 inches above the water on a 3ft sub. LOL I have much more knowledge now though and a small army of 3D printers to help.

I guess that wasn't really a silly question and I'm in the Silly Questions from Newbies room, so I do have one silly question. I have a R/C model of the USS Missouri that my uncle built and gave to me a few decades ago, if I pull it out of storage and am able to get it working by SubFest 2022, would it be ok if I brought it and put it out on the water along with the submarines?
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I think you mean Archimedes Principle rather than Boyle's Law when it comes to calculating displacement.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SpaceFaringOrBust
      Hello everyone. My name is Stephen and I live in Northeast Georgia. I noticed that Subfest is only 2.5 hours from me and recently my 13 year old son and I discussed building a pair of R/C submarines to have naval battles with. I think this would be a great opportunity to get him excited about building something like a fully functional submarine. I built one as a teenager, but I didn't have anyone to explain Boyles Law and my dive planes were sitting about 2 inches above the water on a 3ft sub. LOL I have much more knowledge now though and a small army of 3D printers to help.

I guess that wasn't really a silly question and I'm in the Silly Questions from Newbies room, so I do have one silly question. I have a R/C model of the USS Missouri that my uncle built and gave to me a few decades ago, if I pull it out of storage and am able to get it working by SubFest 2022, would it be ok if I brought it and put it out on the water along with the submarines?
      I'll be at SubFest. Sure, put your target ... er ... model ship into the water there. Something for the rest of us to chase around. Check in with Bob for the morning 'Captain's Call' to get the rules-of-the-road and other event need-to-know stuff first.

You and your kid introduce yourselves to me and the usual-suspects, we'll give you all the stick-time you want.

Good on ya, Dad.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

What he said!

Targets are historically allowed. Subs always have the right-of-way. I'll be bringing my own ORCA from Jaws and hope to have a functional RC "Bruce" to chase it!
        Be sure to register so we can get a good head count!

Bob

Comment

• SpaceFaringOrBust
          Ensign
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Subculture
          I think you mean Archimedes Principle rather than Boyle's Law when it comes to calculating displacement.
          Yep yep
          , great first impression, right? LOL
          Last edited by SpaceFaringOrBust; 08-17-2022, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• SpaceFaringOrBust
            Ensign
            • Aug 2022

Alright Thank you all I'll bring my target. Unfortunately she only has non-functioning defenses right now, but maybe be next year she'll have some defenses.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Lots of very good free files on thingiverse for r/c model submarines as you say you have 3d printers.

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Bring your son. He will have a great time.
                Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...