• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Setting the 1/72 Type VII Rudder Post Gear

David,
    In the fittings kit for the 1/72 Revell Type VII you fabricated a pair of semi-circular gear segment that intermesh for turning both rudders simultaneously. Can you post the proper way to set both gears?

Thanks.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    David,
    In the fittings kit for the 1/72 Revell Type VII you fabricated a pair of semi-circular gear segment that intermesh for turning both rudders simultaneously. Can you post the proper way to set both gears?

Thanks.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	Notes_211211_224935.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	156739 Is there a particular angle to those black lines on the gears marked S and P?
      From the photos they look like they're set at 45° from a line running between the 2 rudder post.
      Last edited by redboat219; 12-11-2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• gantu
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• gantu
          Commander
          • Apr 2009

Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3, Pic 4, Pic 5, Pic 6, After converting a Revell Type VIIC U-Boat (U-96) to a surface running R/C model earlier this year, Photos 1 and 2 ...
          Regards Gantu

Comment

• gantu
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

U-Boot VIIC (Revell RC conversion) Length: 93,3 cm Weight: 3,2 kg Scale: 1:72 Type: static diver, liquid gas ballast system. RC conversion of the 1:72 U-boot VIIC made by Revell. Partially based on Norberts Bruggen WTC Kit, however with my own liquid gas ballast system. Built Start: 20.07.2006 Built finish: 03.08.2008 Maiden Voyage: 15.08.2008
            Regards Gantu

Comment

• Aug 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	Notes_211211_224935.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	156739 Is there a particular angle to those black lines on the gears marked S and P?
              From the photos they look like they're set at 45° from a line running between the 2 rudder post.
              Show me something you have actually built and I'll play with you, Romel. Till then enough with the endless steam of (sometimes worth-while) questions to me. If and when you encounter a real model-building/kit-assembly problem you are ACTUALLY dealing with I'll be there for you. Till then, take your seat at the back of the class and let the actual doer's out there drink from my endless fount of knowledge.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Whoa, Aunt Flo. I'm just asking so I can take notes for future references for the kit and fittings I got.

Better to ask it now or would you prefer I do it later... Click image for larger version

Name:	images (26).jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	156758
                Last edited by redboat219; 12-11-2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Whoa, Aunt Flo. I'm just asking so I can take notes for future references for the kit and fittings I got.

Better to ask it now or would you prefer I do it later... Click image for larger version

Romel,

Better to ask now….. You wouldn’t want the ouija board thingy taking flight suddenly and ending up where the sun doesn’t shine later….

Just sayin

Nick

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hit me up when you have a project underway, in hand, that is on your table in pieces and requiring real-time assistance. Enough naval-gazing, planning, preparing, thinking, researching, and all that other happy horse-**** that has nothing to do with the physical PROCESS of kit-assembly/model building. Time to accomplish something tangible. For the last ten years you've done nothing but spin your wheels and take up space. DO SOMETHING, damnit!

Poop or get off the pot!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sam Victory
                      Commander
                      • Sep 2021

I think Mr. Merriman has a good point that theory is always for practice. I am afraid that if we always stay in the theoretical part and do not go to practice, then it is impossible to make good works. Without knowing the exact internal dimensions of the submarine kit (or having measured and planned it), the design sketches are likely to look reasonable, but there is a chance that it actually doesn't match the kit. So I think it is possible to have a submarine kit (or a very detailed drawing of the submarine with the scale you want) and then go back and design the structure we want. Of course, everything done before is to lay the foundation for the subsequent modeling, which must be followed by practical exercises to make a real model.

V
                      Last edited by Sam Victory; 12-11-2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Sam Victory
                        I think Mr. Merriman has a good point that theory is always for practice. I am afraid that if we always stay in the theoretical part and do not go to practice, then it is impossible to make good works. Without knowing the exact internal dimensions of the submarine kit (or having measured and planned it), the design sketches are likely to look reasonable, but there is a chance that it actually doesn't match the kit. So I think it is possible to have a submarine kit (or a very detailed drawing of the submarine with the scale you want) and then go back and design the structure we want. Of course, everything done before is to lay the foundation for the subsequent modeling, which must be followed by practical exercises to make a real model.

V
                        To Sam's point: We are not the Krell (yet); we can not just think a physical thing into existence. We have to make it. That means getting off your ass and start swinging sharp tools around with reckless abandon.

Too much think'n, not enough swing'n!

David
                        Poet and Don't Know it
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Dec 2019

The last Krell died 2,000 centuries ago.
                          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by das boot
                            the last krell died 2,000 centuries ago.
                            nerd!.... nerd!!!!!!
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

nerd!.... nerd!!!!!!
                              Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it!
                              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...