X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cosber
    Ensign
    • Dec 2012

Repairs

I’m putting together the 3D printed Typhoon, my first sub. Yes, I know-newbies should start with something easier but I like to suffer. While putting the rudder linkage together, which was difficult, it occurred to me how do people affect repairs to something like linkage that is tucked way down into the tail and impossible to get at to fix a problem, even something simple like the rod popping off the control horn or if the horn itself comes loose from the rudder control rod. With the hull still in pieces, it is accessible but once glued together there is no way to get my fingers into that tight spot. The only only thing I would see is to cut a hole in the hull. How do you seasoned sailors do it?
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Here David Merriman is showing how to access the rudder control horn on his Bronco Type XXIII. The access panel is held in place with RTV Silicone. This permits easy removal should adjustments or repairs need to be done. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20211122-072923_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	156013
    Last edited by redboat219; 11-21-2021, 07:37 PM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• KumaDog
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Sep 2021

It has always been in the back of my mind that whatever I build, wiil someday, break. As such, when it, whatever that may be, has to be designed to be repairable with the minimum amount of effort and damage to the model.......This is where homemade tools specialty tools as well as access panels, like the Master's shown in the above replay, come into play. Even the 1:1 boat have access panels.

Comment

• goshawk823
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2010

I used RTV silicon back in the 90s for my big OTW Type XXIII on almost the exact same access hatch for the rudder control horn. Slide an X-acto blade along the seam on both sides and lift the hatch right off. Repair, re-glue. Done.

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Consider rare Earth magnet in a small tab of chrome to steel to prevent rusting.. I put the magnet in on the far side and have tab of chrome steel curve over the top of the control rod for Clarence. Food for thought?

If you go with the RTV... Do it after all the paint work is done it might hinder the finish..

Comment

Working...