X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Absolutely Basics

Can you operate an RC sub with the basic minimum electronics - remote control ( Tx/Rx), drive motor, esc, servos, and batteries? No BEC, APC, battery monitor.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Of course you can. Really good example of that is a good friends Robbe Seawolf dynamic diver. It was my first sub build some 25 years back. It ran flawlessly for 2 days at the 25th Annual TaskForce 72 regatta.
    That boat runs 3 channels uses a basic ESC - no bells and whistles.

Now my favourite boats that I love to drive have 4 active channels and a simple 4ch FM radio. I do run a APC off a 5 volt RX slot (usually via a Y harness that takes the voltage input of the RX) for the rear vanes but these vanes work 100% passively. Tx control is throttle, fwd planes, rudder, and ballast. The ballast tank Tx operation is vent one side of the stick channel and run the air pump the other. I run the boat slightly positive and don't need any snorkel head valves or extras. I do run a separate BEC - not relying on the one supplied on the ESC. I think that is good practice.

Over the years I have had complicated boats and ballast systems and I still have a torpedo capable sub, but to be honest - give me some simple stick and cruise time with 4 channel any day and I'm happy.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I remember a few modellers used to run basic little dynamic boats on 2-channels. That was back in the 1980's when radio was still pretty pricey especially for more than the basic two channel sets.

One of the servo channels would be rigged with a pair of momentary switches that would make when the servo was at it's most extended point at each end, This would slot a latching relay on/off, and the contacts of the relay were rigged to switch on the drive motor. So no proportional control of the motor and no reverse. Better with three channels or four if you want a dive system, but needs must when the devil drives.

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

RB, I am confident that you can operate a dynamic diver with a $14 433mhz 4 channel switch from Ebay...full ahead FWD, full speed AFT, full LEFT rudder, full RIGHT rudder and spring loaded center.

Comment

Working...