X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

2 Foot Albacore

I have a 2 foot Albacore, it seems to need some sort of hatch at the fore and aft , anyone have 2 of these??
    Asa well, anyone have any of the many units that are coming out of mast (God, I dont know what they are called, other than the Periscope)
    Last edited by Kim Sleep; 02-14-2020, 11:35 AM.
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kim Sleep
    I have a 2 foot Albacore, it seems to need some sort of hatch at the fore and aft , anyone have 2 of these??
    Asa well, anyone have any of the many units that are coming out of mast (God, I dont know what they are called, other than the Periscope)
    two-foot? I only know of a 1/96 and 1/60 scale ABACLORE kit.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

That boat looks magnificent. I can't wait to see it painted and rocketing around the pond.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
        That boat looks magnificent. I can't wait to see it painted and rocketing around the pond.
        Soon, Scott. Our little baby is almost done. I'm detailing it now, getting it ready for paint and weathering. It's already been tested in the water and its a very maneuverable screamer!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Wow. I don't remember seeing that video - but I might have been off my chops on meds, so who knows. She look great in the water in any case. I know that the dorsal rudder is fitted to a separate angle keeper; wondering if the rate of operation is quick enough to keep the boat vertical all the time?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
            Wow. I don't remember seeing that video - but I might have been off my chops on meds, so who knows. She look great in the water in any case. I know that the dorsal rudder is fitted to a separate angle keeper; wondering if the rate of operation is quick enough to keep the boat vertical all the time?
            I have a practical dorsal rudder on both the big and your little ALBACORE models and the response to any roll is quickly and powerfully countered. No matter how hard over I put the rudder on the fast running submerged boat I see little if any foil, snap, or torque roll. It's amazing how effective that dorsal rudder is! But, it's very 'draggy'!

One of the 'recover from Depth Excursion' protocols was to not only to ring up all-back-mother****er, fishtail the rudder, full rise on the bow planes, and fishtail the dorsal rudder. (At one point they even employed a B-47 landing parachute!)

Today I took a break from production work and did a bit more detail on our 1/96 ALBACORE. I've gone nutso on the hatch detailing. Here are some shots of that work:

And here's some underwater video of the 1/60 ALBACORE, demonstrating how well the active dorsal rudder works to keep this boat vertical, no mater the speed or rudder angle:

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
              Commander
              • Nov 2013

Beautiful hatch detail

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                Commander
                • Nov 2013

I was able to cobble together the hatches, but thank you.
                Is the hatch at the front of the boat recessed, while the one at the back surface mount??

Comment

• Aug 2008

I was able to cobble together the hatches, but thank you.
                  Is the hatch at the front of the boat recessed, while the one at the back surface mount??
                  As launched, phase-1, both deck hatches stood proud of the deck. During the phase-2 conversion the forward hatch was lowered into a well atop the forward escape-trunk and a fairing plate installed over the hatch to fair the well with the deck. There were plans to recess the after deck hatch during the phase-6 conversion period, but that never happened.

So, post phase-2 yard period represent the forward deck hatch recessed, the after deck hatch standing proud.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2013

Ok, so I still ned guidance in regard to the following items in the attached picture. From Left to right I now know that the first ones are Hatches, Second Hatch Covers,
                    and the rest I dont know
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ok, so I still ned guidance in regard to the following items in the attached picture. From Left to right I now know that the first ones are Hatches, Second Hatch Covers,
                      and the rest I dont know
                      Which picture are you referencing, Kim?

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I believe the one attached at the bottom of his post. Let me see if this works......Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=136786.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	136789
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                          I believe the one attached at the bottom of his post. Let me see if this works......Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=136786.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	136789
                          Thanks for the assist, Tom.

From left to right: hatches, forward hatch cover (fairing), periscopes, anchor light, stern light, 'football' (DF), hatch hand-wheels, and capstans. You got extras there, Kim.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                            Commander
                            • Nov 2013

I panicked, thinking I didnt have enough hatch covers, and I made 3 more (Which are not as detailed...but what the heck). Thank you, as per usual guys

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                              Commander
                              • Nov 2013

Thank you Trout

Comment

Working...