Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

From left to right: hatches, forward hatch cover (fairing), periscopes, anchor light, stern light, 'football' (DF), hatch hand-wheels, and capstans. You got extras there, Kim.

Ok, you knew this was going to happen...
    I know the placement of the hatches, and the hatch lock wheels (Front recessed, rear surface-mount)
    I know the periscope placement-on top of the longer streamlined peace ( wont be putting anything on the sail, so this wont be used)
    Are the Numbers just a modified peel, and stick (I used to have hundreds of Lettraset sheets...but they are long gone now). Are they from, and can be ordered from Lettraset??

But all I can find are microscopic views of the sub online, and I would like to know placement if possible.

Im sorry to be such a pain about this.-Kim

A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

• Kim Sleep
      Commander
      • Nov 2013

Ok, from the photo posted I can see the Football Stern Light on the sail, and various things on the deck, but thats it (actually, that leaves very little).

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kim Sleep

From left to right: hatches, forward hatch cover (fairing), periscopes, anchor light, stern light, 'football' (DF), hatch hand-wheels, and capstans. You got extras there, Kim.

Ok, you knew this was going to happen...
        I know the placement of the hatches, and the hatch lock wheels (Front recessed, rear surface-mount)
        I know the periscope placement-on top of the longer streamlined peace ( wont be putting anything on the sail, so this wont be used)
        Are the Numbers just a modified peel, and stick (I used to have hundreds of Lettraset sheets...but they are long gone now). Are they from, and can be ordered from Lettraset??

But all I can find are microscopic views of the sub online, and I would like to know placement if possible.

Im sorry to be such a pain about this.-Kim
        You're not a pain, Kim. I'm the resident 'pain'. So. Back off! The position is filled!

A pain is doing this **** one-handed. Keep your humor, keep plugging and asking questions (no matter how hopelessly STUPID!).

The hull and draft numbers are from this sheet of dry-transfers: https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscen...how/item/MG747

Here's how to apply them:

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
          Commander
          • Nov 2013

Like I said, I had thousands of sheets of letraset when I was in Film...they were everywhere...but when I left the industry..I thought, well Ill never use these again....and threw them away.........STUPID!!!!!!

Comment

• Kim Sleep
            Commander
            • Nov 2013

Ok, since Im the only one who seems to be hogging up this forum, as everyone else has common sense,

I still do not understand this model of the Albacore I have. while the horizontal rudders are well made, the vertical ones seem to be rather slip shod, and just enter the body thru a hole in the deck (hey guess what, I dont know my Nautical terms!).
            Ive come to grips with the fact that Ill only have 1 prop..instead of the standard (??) 2 prop design as well.

Any further info on the placements of the individual pieces I have???. I cannot seem to find a good clear pic that shows any.
            \

Comment

• Aug 2008

Like I said, I had thousands of sheets of letraset when I was in Film...they were everywhere...but when I left the industry..I thought, well Ill never use these again....and threw them away.........STUPID!!!!!!
              Naw, not stupid. Those wax-like transfer markings have a shelf-life. They dry out over time and won't transfer off the carrier film when burnished down onto the work. So, no big deal, Kim. Get those markings I identified from Woodlandsceinics and they'll be fresh and trouble-free.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ok, since Im the only one who seems to be hogging up this forum, as everyone else has common sense,

I still do not understand this model of the Albacore I have. while the horizontal rudders are well made, the vertical ones seem to be rather slip shod, and just enter the body thru a hole in the deck (hey guess what, I dont know my Nautical terms!).
                Ive come to grips with the fact that Ill only have 1 prop..instead of the standard (??) 2 prop design as well.

Any further info on the placements of the individual pieces I have???. I cannot seem to find a good clear pic that shows any.
                \
                Hey, without these back-and-forth what ****ing use is a forum?! You have no ideal how many people looking over our shoulders are inspired and informed by all this happy horse-****, Kim. Keep it coming, pal.

You likely are using the parts that came with the original SubTech 1/60 vacuformed, resin, and metal kit. That makes your ALBACORE model one that represents the phase-2 configuration: control surfaces ahead of a single screw and of cruciform orientation. The stern planes nest into the trailing edges of the fixed horizontal stabilizers, but the two rudders are fully flying surfaces that only attach to the internal yoke.

Back when I was still on talking terms with SubCommittee 'leadership' I involved myself with the production of that kit. Hence my stunning amount of knowledge on the subject.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                  Commander
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Naw, not stupid. Those wax-like transfer markings have a shelf-life. They dry out over time and won't transfer off the carrier film when burnished down onto the work. So, no big deal, Kim. Get those markings I identified from Woodland Sceinics and they'll be fresh and trouble-free.

David
                  Thank God, I really felt stupid doing it. It seems whenever I clean something up, and toss it out...I end up ultimately needing it in the far future.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    Back when I was still on talking terms with SubCommittee 'leadership' I involved myself with the production of that kit. Hence my stunning amount of knowledge on the subject.
                    The hats have changed at SC. For the public record, I would love to have you back, you are a big part of this hobby. No response needed my friend (LOL), I know your stance, but I can always HOPE!
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout

The hats have changed at SC. For the public record, I would love to have you back, you are a big part of this hobby. No response needed my friend (LOL), I know your stance, but I can always HOPE!
                      Point well taken, Tom. I should have taken care to exempt you and a few others from my fiery wrath. With you in after-steering the SC is on the proper road. When will you assume command in the bridge, where you belong? (or is that endorsement the kiss-of-death over there? Sorry).

Anywho … it's a pleasure dealing with you, no matter the venue. You're one of the good ones.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

criminy, next you will want to shower with me......no,no, and a thousand times no. Have you lost some weight?
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...