Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

LOL, Just had to ask...... I see I forgot to add the link to my build: https://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/b...skipjack-build
    Virgin (soon to be Stud), there are other great examples of this sub being built.
    Look forward to your posts. You posting will hep the next person who wants to step into this wonderful hobby.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
      Ensign
      • Oct 2018

ok I had trouble accessing the site yesterday, however I found the PDF and printed said PDF, another bonus is the kit arrived today as did the pump and styrene so we can start the fabrication process of the hull, I have to dig out the brass rods couplings and tiller arms from the shed. I have decided on a bladder ballast system and have obviously ripped off the WTC from David. The WTC can wait for now. I will now get the right holes in the right places and I have already marked the hull for the cuts.

The missus asked me to order her some sex toys and then the sub turns up....'Welcome to my new hobby darling' :-)

RC SUB STUD does have a nice ring to it....

I have seen many of the other conversions going on and its great to see them working, however many don't get complete for one reason or another. This one will! I have an addition in mind but I will run that past David towards the end of the build. Don't panic David its no ICBM or Torpedo's or even an active periscope. A far simpler Idea and a nod to the Nuclear ability of the boat. I obviously want mine to be slightly different to the current builds but that can wait. Time to crawl!

Thank you so much for your support and top notch instruction. Not withstanding a doff of the cap to the godfather of Subs.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCSUBVIRGIN
        ok I had trouble accessing the site yesterday, however I found the PDF and printed said PDF, another bonus is the kit arrived today as did the pump and styrene so we can start the fabrication process of the hull, I have to dig out the brass rods couplings and tiller arms from the shed. I have decided on a bladder ballast system and have obviously ripped off the WTC from David. The WTC can wait for now. I will now get the right holes in the right places and I have already marked the hull for the cuts.

The missus asked me to order her some sex toys and then the sub turns up....'Welcome to my new hobby darling' :-)

RC SUB STUD does have a nice ring to it....

I have seen many of the other conversions going on and its great to see them working, however many don't get complete for one reason or another. This one will! I have an addition in mind but I will run that past David towards the end of the build. Don't panic David its no ICBM or Torpedo's or even an active periscope. A far simpler Idea and a nod to the Nuclear ability of the boat. I obviously want mine to be slightly different to the current builds but that can wait. Time to crawl!

Thank you so much for your support and top notch instruction. Not withstanding a doff of the cap to the godfather of Subs.
        Yeah, we had a slight problem with the server. Fixed, as you see. **** like this happens every now and then. Thanks for being patient with us.

OK, the work starts. By ladder ballast system, are you referring to an RCABS type? No problem, it will work fine, but may not displace enough water to get that beast up to designed waterline.

Don't make me sorry I recommended the title, RC SUB STUD! (Waaaayy more information than I need here, pal!)

How different?! …. Don't screw up that kit!

Well, that's very nice of you. But, the American God Father of this game is one Skip Assay. I'm just the current place-holder. Look him up.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

David stop......you are old enough to take the mantle of godfather. LOL
          Skip has stepped away from our hobby unfortunately, but Mike Dory is still around (I will be sailing with him tomorrow, God willing). I'll be taking the Gato and Sjöorman this trip. Plus picking up a Jewelry furnace on my way back, last of the equipment I need (or so I keep telling Tina).
          Virgin, what is your real name (just first is good)?, I am looking forward to your build. You are SO right that there are many subs that start and never finish (for a variety of reasons - heck, I have one on hold because I am building another). So, it is encouraging that you get it. For your first use the manta "Just finish the sub" or "Just get it working" either one will remind to to press forward. Ask questions, post your success and failures. We all learn from both. Have fun.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
            Ensign
            • Oct 2018

So far so good with the build, just waiting for some parts to turn up and I can get all of the linkage work finished. Can I ask what degree of pitch/movement I will need in the planes? and am I right in thinking the voltage should be 12v?

I am working on the resizing of the pictures I have take to put in the build section. Not enough hours in the day.

My Real name is David or Dave or Oi

Comment

• Aug 2008

So far so good with the build, just waiting for some parts to turn up and I can get all of the linkage work finished. Can I ask what degree of pitch/movement I will need in the planes? and am I right in thinking the voltage should be 12v?

I am working on the resizing of the pictures I have take to put in the build section. Not enough hours in the day.

My Real name is David or Dave or Oi
              You're not 'building' anything. You're assembling a kit. Words have meaning.

Most control surfaces start to stall out at 35-degrees of deflection. Limit the maximum swing to that.

Are you using a SubDriver? Most of the 2.5's and 3's use 12-volt motors.

Yes. Let's see your work. Prepare yourself for my horrible wrath!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Another David......sheesh.

Don't let David step on you using the word "building". I know David would like the Dictionary named Merriman, but Merriam-Webster (the real dictionary) says:
                1: to form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole : CONSTRUCT

In an older post another dictionary used the example "to build a model"

Now ducking to avoid the swing of Davids fist

Do post photos......OR start a new thread with a title of what you re working on.

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                  Ensign
                  • Oct 2018

For a living i'm a builder, however I also restore, re-model, renovate and do something to bring about transmogrifications in a property sense and not fantastical sense. My language is 27 years of mixed up jargon, I will try to meet some kind of standard.

Please don't take that as I have some skills in this because I don't. Ships are very different and to be honest I'm preferring this type of conversion and assembly, its more satisfying. Good job as my eldest daughter wants a sub version of Star Trek Voyager.
                  12v it is and all dive planes maxed at 35 deg
                  I will say this, reshaping the hull has been a pain in the arse, I was so pleased when that was complete.
                  Last edited by RCSUBVIRGIN; 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

For a living i'm a builder, however I also restore, re-model, renovate and do something to bring about transmogrifications in a property sense and not fantastical sense. My language is 27 years of mixed up jargon, I will try to meet some kind of standard.

Please don't take that as I have some skills in this because I don't. Ships are very different and to be honest I'm preferring this type of conversion and assembly, its more satisfying. Good job as my eldest daughter wants a sub version of Star Trek Voyager.
                    12v it is and all dive planes maxed at 35 deg
                    I will say this, reshaping the hull has been a pain in the arse, I was so pleased when that was complete.
                    That background info is useful here -- now I have a better idea who I'm dealing with. You come at this project with 'smart hands'.

Has your kid seen this? https://youtu.be/b056Enh1oCE

Reshaping the hull? Explain.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                      Ensign
                      • Oct 2018

The Lower Hull and upper hull didn't line up across her width (about 1 1/2 out), so I slowly heated the lower hull and shaped it to match the top hull without having to flex the two together to get them to sit together. I think I was being a bit too gentle with the heat as it took an age, I was also nervous about over doing it or warping the hull, but they now line up nicely ready for magnets

While i'm waiting for parts i'm filling the seams to the hull and filling down unsightly blemishes.

I'm still focused on bloody displacement....

Comment

• Aug 2008

The Lower Hull and upper hull didn't line up across her width (about 1 1/2 out), so I slowly heated the lower hull and shaped it to match the top hull without having to flex the two together to get them to sit together. I think I was being a bit too gentle with the heat as it took an age, I was also nervous about over doing it or warping the hull, but they now line up nicely ready for magnets

While i'm waiting for parts i'm filling the seams to the hull and filling down unsightly blemishes.

I'm still focused on bloody displacement....
                        OK. You were smart with the heat-gun -- taking it slowly as its terribly easy to 'melt' polystyrene. Good job. How experienced are you at assembling plastic model kits, by the way?

I would rather not use magnets to hold the two hull halves together. Too easy for a collision to pop the two apart. Best to use a mechanical fastener at the stern as you see in my and Tom's assembly threads.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                          Ensign
                          • Oct 2018

Wow nice to be back!

David I realised that all good modellers have works spaces that make many of us envious and you rightly pointed out I am not building a sub but converting it. So I scratch built a workshop...

I have realised that I'm developing a hobby to what extent is only now limited to money. I'm loving the developing of ideas and troubleshooting the issues of creating the WTC. Keeping everything so simple is a challenge but fun. The Sub is coming along nicely and I have the 6ch reciever and a Futaba 40mhz 6ch transmitter, servos, solenoid valve, air pump and ballast bag. The acrylic tube is 3 1/2 inch (90mm OD).
                          I am now at the point of working out how much water will be needed to give the right amount of displacement. Would it help to have a speed controller on the air pump?

My experience when it comes to plastic model kits has been on-going since I was brought my first airfix spitfire model ages 6 and then a F16 and so on till I started on ships. Now I have 4 ships and 3 remaining to be built. I have Bismark in 1/200, Warspite, Sovremany Destroyer and a type 7 to be built are HMS King George,HMS Manchester and HMS Pozacrica in 1/350 scale. My Grandad served on Manchester and Pozzy. He was apart of PQ17 and made that journey 4 time

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                            Ensign
                            • Oct 2018

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                              Ensign
                              • Oct 2018

Comment

Working...