X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSUBVIRGIN
    Ensign
    • Oct 2018

Newbie to sub community

I am new to the sub build port and i'm planning to use a Revell 1/72 Skipjack as my first build using a simple pressure tank ballast system to get the beast up and down. Is this the best options for someone who comes from the Battleship RC conversion port?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Ain't nothing simple in this game, pal. Get used to hours of assembly, invention, failure, re-do's and loss of hair.

Welcome to our little slice of hell.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
      Ensign
      • Oct 2018

Thanks for the warm welcome :-) I will do my best to keep it as simple as possible.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCSUBVIRGIN
        Thanks for the warm welcome :-) I will do my best to keep it as simple as possible.
        Now you're cooking. KISS. One step at a time. Keep us informed on how it goes.

David
        The Horrible
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
          Ensign
          • Oct 2018

just gunna experiment with this and worth the £5

Unilab 150 mm stroke Double acting pneumatic cylinder for teaching use

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Hello hydraulic periscope drivers.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

My first thought, too! I looked on US Amazon and they don't seem to have an equivalent... :(

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                Ensign
                • Oct 2018

i'm trying to find a smaller unit - these seem to be rare

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don't get bogged down in fancy do-dads! Just the hull and the outfitted cylinder. That's it. No torpedoes, no sonar, no radar, no ballistic missile. None of the jive-ass 'cool' stuff! Just four servos, ESC, angle-keeper, failsafe, ballast vent and blow mechanisms, and motor. That's it! Get the boat working and doing so while keeping all the internals dry while submerged.

crawl, walk, jog, run! In that order!!!! You are yet to crawl, pal. KISS.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                    Ensign
                    • Oct 2018

yes I will crawl first sir...

Comment

• Aug 2008

yes I will crawl first sir...
                      Excellent. By the end of this journey you will likely be one of the few who successfully assembles and drives your own r/c submarine.

Now: give me your estimated methodology and I'll give you appropriate steers. List products and what is yet to be purchased.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSUBVIRGIN
                        Ensign
                        • Oct 2018

I'm pleased you said 'Estimated'. My methodology is to focus on the works to the hull first, the simple things and not the dressing up. Right cuts in the right places and the right holes for what I need. At all times my mind is consumed with the simple problem of UP AND DOWN! Now recently its 'Displacement'.

My approach is in the same manner one consumes an elephant. Bit by bit.

The model Kit is on its way overland as we speak, seeing it in the flesh will give me an eye of the scale.

Ummm I didn't consider the hydraulic cylinder for ICBM's, It would produce enough kick to pop one above the surface whilst submerged. Thanks for that idea sir.

I am most defiantly getting a 3d printer in the coming months to help with endcaps and other chassis parts. Maybe I will need 5 servos and extra one for that ICBM. :-)

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm pleased you said 'Estimated'. My methodology is to focus on the works to the hull first, the simple things and not the dressing up. Right cuts in the right places and the right holes for what I need. At all times my mind is consumed with the simple problem of UP AND DOWN! Now recently its 'Displacement'.

My approach is in the same manner one consumes an elephant. Bit by bit.

The model Kit is on its way overland as we speak, seeing it in the flesh will give me an eye of the scale.

Ummm I didn't consider the hydraulic cylinder for ICBM's, It would produce enough kick to pop one above the surface whilst submerged. Thanks for that idea sir.

I am most defiantly getting a 3d printer in the coming months to help with endcaps and other chassis parts. Maybe I will need 5 servos and extra one for that ICBM. :-)
                          OK, hull first. Good call. I assume this is the 1/72 Mobius/Revell kit. I was lead man on the development of that product. You're in good hands, sir!

Put the up/down/displacement mental masturbation aside. Just assemble the damned kit and get the control surfaces working as well as the running gear. You'll find plenty of room in that model for the cylinder, linkages and running gear. Have you checked out the PDF on how to convert it to r/c yet?

ICBM??? ….. STOP THAT!

3D printer? What the hell's wrong with you!?…….

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Virgin, do check out the Skipjack PDF found here: https://support.caswellplating.com/i...c-instructions

Good choice for your first sub. You are in good hands even if his colorful language scars your brain, what you will learn is how to build a working sub. Here is my build of the skipjack, It follows the PDF with some exceptions or clarifications. I used his fittings kit, but you can use the kits parts to get your sub to work. Enjoy the ride!
                            Peace,
                            Tom
                            p.s. what will you call yourself after you complete a working sub?
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                              Virgin, do check out the Skipjack PDF found here: https://support.caswellplating.com/i...c-instructions

Good choice for your first sub. You are in good hands even if his colorful language scars your brain, what you will learn is how to build a working sub. Here is my build of the skipjack, It follows the PDF with some exceptions or clarifications. I used his fittings kit, but you can use the kits parts to get your sub to work. Enjoy the ride!
                              Peace,
                              Tom
                              p.s. what will you call yourself after you complete a working sub?
                              Isn't it obvious, Tom??

RC STUD

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...