• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • consuli
    Ensign
    • Aug 2018

Want to travel through an ocean trench in a submarine

Hello!

I have watched the submarine film "Hunt on Red Oktober". In the film the submarine drives through an very narrow ocean trench, which entrance is called "Toras Twins".

Is it possible to charter a submarine and to travel through the "Toras Twins" ocean trench in it? (If you are wealthy enough, you can even travel into space.)

Consuli
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Sit in your bedroom with the lights out, drink a bottle of vodka and listen to some heavy metal; its EXACTLY the same feeling as a run through Toras Twins!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Driving at night without the lights on does it for me.

Visibility underwater, mid-ocean, is overrated. Fish ca-ca tends to be opaque.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Try Deep Flight https://www.deepflight.com/deepflight-super-falcon-3s/

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• consuli
          Ensign
          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by redboat219
          Very good suggestion. I guess there a lot more scientific submarines like this with windows, to do an underwater excursion.

Where do I get a detailed topographic map of the "Torus Twins" ocean trench to plan the underwater excursion?

Consuli

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by consuli

Very good suggestion. I guess there a lot more scientific submarines like this with windows, to do an underwater excursion.

Where do I get a detailed topographic map of the "Torus Twins" ocean trench to plan the underwater excursion?

Consuli
            Well, for starters: combatant type submarines don't fly through canions like fighter aircraft -- they avoid the bottom and protuberances like the plague. Second, I believe that the canyon in the movie was a fiction.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• consuli
              Ensign
              • Aug 2018

I guess, it would not be necessary to scrape with the subamrine along the stone wall of the canyon, to make it a unique experience. :lol:

Anyway, going near the wall of the canyon may cause loose stones falling down on the submarine, or not?

There is no "Toras Twins Canyon" ?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Thor's Twins - not real. It is a movie.
                Answer (1 of 7): Well, Tom Clancy does strive for accuracy in his books... the Reykjanes Ridge is certainly a real geographical feature (part of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, beginning at the Reykjanes Peninsula at Iceland's SW tip), as is the Laurentian Abyss (third-deepest area on earth. Not being a...

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• consuli
                  Ensign
                  • Aug 2018

Thanks for the Thor's Twins info.

But there exist other narrow near vertical underwater canyons in the atlantic, which would be interesting to travel through, right?
                  Last edited by consuli; 08-08-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

1. Go to the Grand Canyon
                    2. Rent helicopter.
                    3. Tell the pilot to fly you at night through the canyon.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Consuli,
                      Movies do have a way of creating a feeling of excitement. Anything at depth is dark. Military submarines do not have windows (there are few exceptions like research subs and just to let you know windows in the sail are not used when the sub is underwater).
                      There are some commercial tourist submarines, but the depth they go to is very limited.
                      Are there other canyons? Probably.
                      Build an R/C submarine, add a camera, and run it in a local pond and you can create your own scenes and excitement.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• consuli
                        Ensign
                        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by trout
                        Consuli,
                        Military submarines do not have windows (there are few exceptions like research subs and just to let you know windows in the sail are not used when the sub is underwater).
                        There are some commercial tourist submarines, but the depth they go to is very limited.
                        I fully agree, that most subs do not have windows. However, Google knows more 100, that have windows.

Originally posted by trout
                        Consuli,
                        Build an R/C submarine, add a camera, and run it in a local pond and you can create your own scenes and excitement.
                        Instead of building an R/C submarine myself, it would be much more easier to go as diver with a seabob through an underwater canyon (maybe, with an additional underwater action cam).

I just want to go through an underwater canyon, it is not necessary it is deep-sea canyon (I am not a nuclear sub to hide from sonar buoys. ;-) ).

Consuli
                        Last edited by consuli; 08-11-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• QuortuVorto
                          Ensign
                          • Jul 2022

You know, guys, I'd rather pick a Titanic cruise than drink vodka in darkness. Actually, the deep ocean is my fear. There's nothing scarier than those dark, undiscovered waters. I'm more a fan of tofino campgrounds than those deep voyages. I'd rather try skydiving than deep diving. Though my element is water, I'll just drink it with pleasure instead of reaching Mariana Trench's bottom. Guys, what do you think? Btw, have any of you here tried any extreme activities like skydiving or so? I would be really curious to read your story. Peace
                          Last edited by QuortuVorto; 07-20-2022, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• rodirozmar
                            Ensign
                            • Oct 2022

It seems to me that this is almost unrealistic. A lot can be shown in the film, but some things in life aren't possible. As far as I know, this depression is too narrow, and no submarine can pass through this depression. A tour guide told me about this. My friend and I were on a trip to London. We found the site free walking tour London and booked a walking tour of London. As it turned out, we got a very nice guide who was a sailor in the past. O said that this depression was very dangerous because of the undercurrent.
                            Last edited by rodirozmar; 10-24-2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by consuli

I fully agree, that most subs do not have windows. However, Google knows more 100, that have windows.

Instead of building an R/C submarine myself, it would be much more easier to go as diver with a seabob through an underwater canyon (maybe, with an additional underwater action cam).

I just want to go through an underwater canyon, it is not necessary it is deep-sea canyon (I am not a nuclear sub to hide from sonar buoys. ;-) ).

Consuli
                              Here's some 'canyon' shooting for you:

https://youtu.be/FYIjy6GB-M4 1:18 - 2:00, 2:25 - 4:00

https://youtu.be/C_0tq0GBdZc 0:45 - 2:25

https://youtu.be/DYVTNzmNIrM 2:40 - 3:40

https://youtu.be/r1U_KxzySzY 8:25

David
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-18-2022, 07:41 PM.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...