X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Laubach
    Ensign
    • Feb 2018

Refit of Teskey Seaview-need help

I have had this sub in temperature controlled storage for over a decade. It was caught in a basement flood years ago, but managed to get it out after a day. The WTC never got wet,but has not been used in almost 10 years. The WTC is a DE 3 inch with graupner 400 motors each at 7.2volts. Technology has considerably changed since this sub was built. I plan on gutting the insides and re-do the lighting using leds. I also plan on changing the linkages to the WTC with the new Klikons. It seems to be a much better technology. I want to use the new lipo poly batteries, but I think I will need a battery cylinder for these to keep them from getting wet. she is going to get a bow light cage, new paint job, and other exterior fixes. My questions are these:

1. Can you replace the seals on the DE Wtc where the servo arms leave the cylinder?
    2. If not, What size of new Subdriver to use on this boat?
    3. How to link up lights to the main battery?
    4. Which Llpopoly batteries to use, and how many?
    5. What balance charger does one use for the lipo poly batteries? Click image for larger version  Name:	7D3D0CDC-986E-4ED5-8E70-9B943E9311A3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	17.7 KB ID:	126558

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a shot of the sub and WTC. I just pulled it out of storage today.
    Last edited by Michael Laubach; 05-30-2018, 06:49 PM.
  • Michael Laubach
    Ensign
    • Feb 2018

I put this in the newbie section,because I am basically starting over.She does have David Merriman’s pump jets (circa 2001) and the sail he made for this boat. I am so happy I purchased these so many years ago!
    Last edited by Michael Laubach; 05-30-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

I'm sure his majesty will chime in,or others with experience with this specific boat, but here's my crack at answering your questions, for what it's worth:

1. Can you replace the seals on the DE Wtc where the servo arms leave the cylinder?
      Absolutely. These were typically siliconed in place. Twist with pliers to remove. Press in new ones and adhere with more RTV.

2. If not, What size of new Subdriver to use on this boat?
      There is a 3" SubDriver, but the reserve buoyancy is pretty low for a boat like this. You'd know better than me what sort of clearance you have between the hull and cylinder. If you have that extra 0.5", I'd go with a 3.5" unit with a big tank. https://www.rc-submarine.com/product...allast-version
      If not, the 3" SubDriver can be viewed here: https://www.rc-submarine.com/product...t-19-75-length

3. How to link up lights to the main battery?
      You'll need to wire up a lead after your main power switch that penetrates the hull. I buy great waterproof connectors on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Which Llpopoly batteries to use, and how many?
      Big boat, so you'll want at least a 3300mAh, 11.1V LiPo. If you've got the room, a 5000mAh would be preferable.

5. What balance charger does one use for the lipo poly batteries?
      Tenergy makes a great, cheap balance charger: http://www.all-battery.com/Tenergytb...ger-01436.aspx

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Running 7,2v speed 400's on 3S lipo will kill them, and they'll get blooming hot before they die. You want 2S lipo.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          • Aug 2009

Good catch, Andy... I didn't notice he was running 7.2V motors.

Comment

• Michael Laubach
            Ensign
            • Feb 2018

Thanks Bob and Andy! I am assuming that these lipo poly batteries have to stay dry, so I would most likely have to use a battery WTC with the 3 inch WTC that I already have? Would a lipo poly battery like this work? See link. https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/. It is the 50c 5000 mah 2s 7.4 volt ? I am assuming that it would be 250 amps?

I did check Bob on the clearance for a 3.5 inch dual. It won’t work. If I remember correctly, I think that Dave made this WTC specifically for this boat. I think it was called 3 inch Mod 2.
            Last edited by Michael Laubach; 05-31-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Michael Laubach
              Ensign
              • Feb 2018

Click image for larger version  Name:	763AD0A2-117F-4818-B4EE-376107A42310.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	19.0 KB ID:	126578
              Do you sell these seals Bob that the tweezers are pointing to? See photo: Inside brass.

Comment

• Michael Laubach
                Ensign
                • Feb 2018

Does the whole brass housing with rubber seal come out and replace the whole thing?, or just the rubber seal? Please forgive me, for I have been out of this a while. You don’t know how much I appreciate y’alls help.

Comment

• Michael Laubach
                  Ensign
                  • Feb 2018

I’m waiting for Dave to reach out and give me a Gibbs slap to the back of the head (NCIS humor).

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

That seal, I believe, can be opened up and the o-ring inside can be replaced. The seal end is threaded and tightened down onto the o-ring. You can increase or decrease the friction applied to the pushrod shaft. These are old......if I am wrong on this someone will quickly correct me.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

I think I do have a few of these old-style seals left somewhere. You're looking to replace three?

Comment

• Michael Laubach
                        Ensign
                        • Feb 2018

I’m looking to replace 3 of them Bob. I was also wondering on that battery type. Would the 50c 5000 mah 2s 7.4 volt work? If so, do you carry something like that? One more question. Do these Lipo poly batteries have to stay dry?, and do you keep the lipo guard on the battery all of the time? If the battery has to stay dry, do you sell short battery WTCs. I would rather get as much as I can from you than one of those big impersonal places. Thank you again for all of your help! When I get her back in the water, I will definitely post video. I will also post photos on the refit, so that others may benefit.
                        Last edited by Michael Laubach; 06-03-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Michael, I want to complement you for understanding about building a relationship with your vendor. Few get that concept in the hunt for saving a few dollars, they lose out on a hundred times what they save in knowledge. Your attitude will get a lot of help from Bob. I also like your view on posting. Sure posting takes more time, but the benefit is others can learn from you. Nothing worse than reinventing the wheel.
                          I can answer one of your questions, LiPo in the wet will not work. Some have put them in balloons or condoms, the issue with doing that is charging will need to have the area open for gases to dissipate. These gases can be explosive. So, constantly opening a balloon or condom (like they never fail) can cause issues. Your thought of putting in in a dry cylinder is spot on.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Michael Laubach
                            Ensign
                            • Feb 2018

Thanks for the kind remarks Tom. Bob has been a big help with my Static Nautilus build. David has been a big help as well. It is really important to not only thank them, but to keep the business going their way. People like them have kept this hobby moving forward, and have really deserve all of the gratitude that they can possibly get. I have been doing a whole bunch of research on the RC sub hobby, and have referred to a whole bunch of their notes,videos,etc. I have also studied many other folks notes on this website and others and have learned a whole bunch. I can only hope to pay it forward.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Michael Laubach
                              People like them have kept this hobby moving forward, and have really deserve all of the gratitude that they can possibly get.
                              Agree with most of your comments. The only exception is with giving too many compliments to David, he gets a god complex. Ducking my way out of here.....

Comment

Working...