X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Those bottles pictured are for propel only. No hydro test. Just a function test (charged with propel and dunked in water, looking for leaks). That's all. The 'safety valve' on those is the flexible hose burst pressure of around 400 psi. No one's eaten a copper bottle yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n111132[/ATTACH]

M

Just shaking the tree, Boss, shaking the tree.

When you construct your bottels you know what you’re doing but others sometimes are not aware of the potential danger.

My point was that if one is not sure what's going to happen you sould pressure test something by filling it up with water....water is nearly incompressible and is therefore only able to release a small amount of energy in case of a failure air will expand resulting in an explosion

I have seen things go wrong @ 0.9 bar, a 1,5 gallon tube with a 7” cover, 10 stiches later the guy was able to tell the story but barely. If he had used water as a test medium he wouldn’t be stitched up.

Ok he wouldn’t have the story neither...fare enough.

​Grtz,
    Bart
    Last edited by bwi 971; 11-03-2015, 07:13 AM.
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

Just shaking the tree, Boss, shaking the tree.

When you construct your bottels you know what you’re doing but others sometimes are not aware of the potential danger.

My point was that if one is not sure what's going to happen you sould pressure test something by filling it up with water....water is nearly incompressible and is therefore only able to release a small amount of energy in case of a failure air will expand resulting in an explosion

I have seen things go wrong @ 0.9 bar, a 1,5 gallon tube with a 7” cover, 10 stiches later the guy was able to tell the story but barely. If he had used water as a test medium he wouldn’t be stitched up.

Ok he wouldn’t have the story neither...fare enough.

​Grtz,
      Bart

I ALWAYS respond to a Cool Hand Luke reference ...

As an old navy Diver and Torpedoman (high pressure gas systems a specialty), I well appreciate the need, and utility of hydro-testing high pressure components. And your words of wisdom are most appropriate here, Bart. Good stuff.

Shaking the tree. Indeed!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• sgtmac1
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Nov 2014

Should the tire valve extend well into the copper tank or should there be an area at the top for gas to form? I was wondering if this tank will actually work...

Comment

Working...