• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

FrSky Radio YouTube Channels

ALCON,

For those interested in jumping right in, these are some recommended YT Channels and videos to start with

Hopefully we'll compile all this Data into a Flow Chart/Checklist along with our own specific setup videos for Submarine operations..

Three Channels I found useful:

Aloft Hobbies

FrSky RC Live Tech Support - Ben S.

Mr.D - Falling with style

Some sample video's from them....

Updating the ETHOS Firmware, for people who struggle with computers

FrSky ETHOS Programming Inputs to Outputs Assign Sticks and Switches to Channels TANDEM X18 X20 XE

If anyone else here stumbles across some good content regarding the ETHOS system that you think is useful, please post.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • Fishb0y
    Lieutenant
    • Jul 2023

I’ve been slowly going through some of these videos.

You may have answered this already, but what advantage do you see with a 2.4ghz/900mhz radio vs just a 900mhz transmitter?
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Fishb0y
      I’ve been slowly going through some of these videos.

You may have answered this already, but what advantage do you see with a 2.4ghz/900mhz radio vs just a 900mhz transmitter?
      Ready? You asked lol!
      Remember, these are MY requirements.

Dollars to donuts 80% of you won’t make it through this, most likely ‘cuz you don’t care lol!

A: Redundancy /rɪˈdʌndənsi/ noun

plural: redundancies

a [noncount] : the act of using a word, phrase, etc., that repeats something else and is therefore unnecessary

Avoid redundancy in your writing.

b [count] : a word, phrase, etc., that repeats something else and is therefore unnecessary : a redundant word, phrase, etc.

Try to avoid using redundancies in your writing.

technical : a part in a machine, system, etc., that has the same function as another part and that exists so that the entire machine, system, etc., will not fail if the main part fails

[count]

The design incorporates several redundancies.

[noncount]

a system with a high level of redundancy

B: 95% of my operating environment is opaque to anything but a few inches underwater. Periscope Depth is my wheelhouse. I was taught in 1991 to never take your eyes off the scope in dark or murky waters, or with solar glare. Only on rare occasions do I run in clear water enough to see it. So 2.4Ghz works for the greater percentage of MY running venue as I run in the wild, not protected pools or reflecting ponds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230702_145024769.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	172470

The only clear place I have to run in now is SubFest, which accounts for (let’s do the math)….

Cohutta Run, 1/y, (4d x 6h realistically as a high limit) = 24Hr/year

Everywhere else: 30/y, (1dx3h avg) = 90Hr/year

Total is 114hrs/year, 24 of which is in water good enough to dive below PD. 1-(90/114)= gives me 79% of the time 2.4Ghz is good enough, or in my case…warranted due to visibility.

FWIW, this works for 14/17 boats in my fleet. Which is 82%. Only 3 actually need 900Mhz. I have been running 2.4Ghz since 2016, and to be honest I was delighted when Dave came up with his original 2.4Ghz article. I will take a solid performer at PD over a temperamental performer that can dive any day of the week. Plus I giggle when I hear people ask for frequency flags.

C: Why do I believe 2.4Ghz should be preferred in the wild?
      Well if you saw Bob’s Dive Tribe Video where I discussed Buoyancy, it is a good idea to to “keep her light” in the wild. If something goes wrong she fails “positive”. If you cruise at PD, you’re also not that affected by loss of buoyancy due to hull compression. So 2.4Ghz, along with trimming light, makes for a natural failsafe! My Failsafe kicks off just as the 2.4Ghz Antenna loses contact. When I lose sight of the scope she automatically answers an “ALL-STOP” bell, Both sets of dive planes go to full rise, and she typically coasts right back up. If not, 9 seconds later she blows her tank with gas. This prevents wasted backup gas, which should be only used for something hazardous like a slow leak or rapid flooding.

I also tend to operate 2-300ft away. Due to heavy fast-boat traffic. So I always have my eye on the scope. I see most “Divers (if they're not in a pool) only dive within 25 ft anyway. I feel the exposed 2.4Ghz goes a long way towards this though an argument is made the nested 900Mhz Antennas will still operate just fine.

D: I can do it, period.
      Maybe it’s nothing more than preference and the above is BS. Let’s face it, drone pilots are driving the industry. Vendors, such as FrSky are now offering radios with BOTH. Dual Frequency receivers just may become the industry standard​, I'm beginning to see signs of that. So why not use that to your advantage? Again, my current boats already have the 2.4Ghz installed, so I see it as an advantage! Even if all you do is have the RX up by the top of the watertight container, and stick the 2.4Ghz antenna up through the pressurization testing tube, and have it ride in the hull dry space above the surface waterline, you have simple redundancy at surface trim!
      ​​
      Look if you say it isn’t worth it to you to run that 2.4Ghz antenna, I can dig it, it’s a choice. Even if it’s as simple as you don’t want to bother, it's a hassle to put your upper hull on, much less the added expense and installation in the first place. I can dig it! THAT is YOUR requirement, it’s a valid reason to you other than, “It’s just the way I heard Clyde do it.”

But to me it is, for the reasons above.

Also, I can set up one boat to have TWO identical Models on the TX. One as 2.4Ghz only (Normal Mode), The other uses both 2.4Ghz and 900Mhz on a single FrSky Tandem Receiver (Dual Mode). In fact both have the same picture on the screen but the Dual has a wide red border so I can instantly tell which “model” (or mode for that boat) I’m in at the pond.

Soooooo why do I go through all this??

When I’m running in my Normal mode at 2.4Ghz in the Texas mud (or the first time at a strange body of water), I’m forced to remain at PD, the Failsafe will kick off as the scope dips.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0-591.png Views:	0 Size:	24.8 KB ID:	172475

When I’m running at Dual mode, say at Cohutta, Carmel, etc, I CAN dive the boat where the failsafe would kick off at a much greater depth. I’m not worried about losing it as I can jump in and swim right to it to recover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0-591D.png Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	172474

Look, I said I march to the beat of a different drum. If this seems strange (probably does to most of you), I really don’t give a $#*!. I’ve been arguing the merits of 2.4Ghz for 7 years now and frankly don’t care anymore. We all have opinions. You asked why, these are MY reasons. Diving below PD is no real big deal to me. If I purchase something, I will use ALL its features if I can, and using both 2.4 and or 900 in the method described above works for me. I’m a tech nerd and experimenter, so I like to try things and see what they do for me. BTW, only three boats without scopes that I have, which ARE “show” boats, really need it for me to enjoy it. They ONLY run at clear water events. I lost a boat once, I vow to never lose one again. Consider today's market value for a 65" operational RC Submarine borders at $3500 USD (ask Bob), what's it worth to you? Risk mitigation dude.

Besides, it pleases me.
      Attached Files
      v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Fishb0y
        Lieutenant
        • Jul 2023

That all makes sense (and cents). Thanks for your insight.
        Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

That all makes sense (and cents). Thanks for your insight.
          Thank you for the Feedback...

I understand I write books, which I'm told most skim through. But it's not for them I take this time.

It's for the newcomer in the hope they get something more than "Well I'm told Adam does it this way, so that's why I do it."

FWIW, my only real piece of advice in this pastime?

Have great Faith, great doubt, and great determination.

Always question, always put 'em to the test.

Everything written in Forums, especially written by me.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Fishb0y
            Lieutenant
            • Jul 2023

I have a hard time walking before I run, so I very much appreciate the insight! I was planning on using my Spektrum DX6 transmitter that I used for my planes, but those Tandems look neat...

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

They are pretty cool. I now own two identical X20S's now. STILL only 2/3rds the cost of a baseline JETI. I do plan to take to the sky's after I'm retired, so that's the long term plan.

The Spectrum should work just fine I think, especially since you have experience with it.

So why do I have 2 identical radios?

With the ability to backup a radio, they will be identical. All models, setups and what not are identical. IOW, Cloned Radios. I love how one can backup the radio on ETHOS!!

1-Redundancy, I live to operate my boats, many here are all about the build. Don't get me wrong the build is cool, but I put equal emphasis on operations. So if I drive 1200 miles to spend a weekend at Cohutta with like minded folks, darn tootin (a safe Bob the Canadian expression) I'm not sitting on the side bothering Dave Merriman to get my boat running.

2-Model Flexibility: My son tends to join me at such events, now we can mix and match boats and transmitters to chase each other with any boat.

3-Standardization: Everything is the same, the look, feel, operation. Though regarding the look, one is red, the other black lol.

4-Train the "Non-Qual": Just like the Trainer System for the flyboys, I can hand a radio to any newcomer, have them operate the boat, aand quickly take control if they run into issues.
              I plan to do just that at Cohutta this year.
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Fishb0y
                Lieutenant
                • Jul 2023

My current radio doesn't say "Maneuvering, Conn: Ahead Flank" at full throttle. I need to fix that.

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Ed’s subs run extremely well on the 2.4 bands. You’re not doing a bunch of high speed turns under water like the 1/96 kits, and it looks scale with the scopes and antenna above the water.
                  Last edited by Das Boot; 07-31-2023, 09:36 PM.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• type7
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Apr 2009

You have me hooked too. The radios have a lot of capability and will take a while to understand it all. Have a first sub converted and am learning from it. These radios seem to be the answer we have been looking for.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

My current radio doesn't say "Maneuvering, Conn: Ahead Flank" at full throttle. I need to fix that.
                      You mean like this? LOL!

***WARNING*** The following content may incite disdain from the stiff upper lip crowd!

But the gongoozalers will enjoy it!

FrSky TANDEM X20S new standard switch assignment for USS SHARK-591, with audio feedback!

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Fishb0y
                        Lieutenant
                        • Jul 2023

Bingo! Being a Former Nuke and no longer practicing Sea Lawyer, some of those 1MCs aren’t exactly per the Sub IC manual.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Sep 2015

Bingo! Being a Former Nuke and no longer practicing Sea Lawyer, some of those 1MCs aren't exactly per the Sub IC manual.
                          So when can we expect the ones from you that are IAW the manual?
                          v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

So when can we expect the ones from you that are IAW the manual?
                            I want my transmitter loaded with a selection of 1MC announcements issued on typical WEBSTER half-way nights!

My all-time favorite was the GQ gongs followed by, "This is a drill, this is a drill (sound of an electric drill motor) ... Black and Decker Drill, fools!".

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I want my transmitter loaded with a selection of 1MC announcements issued on typical WEBSTER half-way nights!

My all-time favorite was the GQ gongs followed by, "This is a drill, this is a drill (sound of an electric drill motor) ... Black and Decker Drill, fools!".

David
                              Dave,

You sign on to one of the newfangled contraptions, I'll see you get it.
                              For you especially I'd add this:

We have Divers over the side
                              Do not blow or vent from any tank, discharge to or pump from sea.
                              Do not energize any under water equipment.
                              We have Divers over the side

None of this was guaranteed to be authentic as it was fro 40 y/o memory and Cold Waters game material.

But it's simply better than NOTHING. A lot of fun at the pond for spectators. The volume can be lowered to "Off" if so desired if the annoyance level is passed.

IF anyone else wants to play, I invite you to do so.

I'd like to see British accent, German and Russian Language ones as well.
                              Need a good online Text to speech (TTS) system to generate wave files as well as a good online audio moderator to give that "over the speaker" sound.

We can make the files available online here, and I can give instruction on how to do it or simply pint the way.

Any takers??

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...