X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CC Clarke
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2020

Who Am I?

Taken from the stern of a tug after I left during a PERSTRANS a mile from Alcatraz, May of '81.

My chief was scheduled to leave, but had homicide on the brain after he found out his wife was teaching a former cook a few new recipes during our frequent at-sea periods. He planned to lie in wait in their closet, catch them in the act, and kill the both of them. I hated the thought of ratting him out, but had seen him in many a bar fight, so I knew he wasn't kidding. Reluctantly, I gave the XO the scoop.. A few minutes later, the XO walks into our space and announces, "Chief, I need a (blah, blah, blah) report ASAP". The chief says, "XO that will take hours and I'm supposed to make the PERSTRAN!" "Sorry chief, the CO needs this."

He knew he couldn't get out of it, so he looked at me and said, "Take my place, and I'll go another time." No one knew the difference and I probably saved two people, since neither would have known he wasn't at sea. He beat up a couple of chiefs in the goat locker on his next boat and was retired a little sooner than planned. Otherwise, a good guy when he wasn't homicidal.

I spent ten glorious days doing a lot of nothing; my only responsibility was to make sure I was on the pier as a line handler when she returned to port.

CCC
    Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-20-2020, 10:37 PM.
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

SSN-575 Seawolf ll

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

Outstanding!

There's a reason they named the '21 after us. Unfortunately, "Fish don't vote", so the majority of US submarines have been named for states and cities for the last 40 years. I would much rather the Navy return to naming submarines for the storied creatures of the deep to honor those boats and their crews who "held the line" when we needed it the most in WWW II.

Our step sail made us visually unique at the time. While inbound, crossing under "The Gate" once, an outbound skimmer radioed that a Russian submarine was entering port. I think they got a free copy of Jane's in the mail afterwards.

More to follow.

Dive deep, fear nothing,

CC

Comment

• CC Clarke
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2020

A little harder. . . Where am I?

Click image for larger version  Name:	6-80.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	142929
        Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-22-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2020

Good call! That's a much-younger version of me in the co-pilot seat onboard DSRV-1 Mystic. A shot of our merry gang. If you've ever watched "Grey Lady Down," you'll see a split -second shot of a hairy DSRV's pilot's arm; that belonged to my chief on the right
          Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-22-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Aug 2020

Forty years later and I still am doing cool $&#!. . . And there is NO waiver.

Never. . .

Ever!
            Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-22-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...