X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ducati S2R
    Ensign
    • Apr 2020

Project 1710 Макрель "Beluga"

Posted in this section of the forum as this is a concept project which has moved up to proof of concept stage. Admin feel free to move this to a more approriate section.

A one off Russian submarine the Project 1710 Mackrel was a test bed for propulsion and boundary layer modifications (ploymer injection) previous large scale model tests with high Reynolds polymers had yielded 20-30% in drag reduction. The hull is similar to the 705 Lira "Alfa" class being a cylinderical Center section and with a ratio length/width of approximately 1:7 which results in a low drag fast hull, the blended sail is much smaller relative to the hull dimensions. The boat was fitted with full combat systems but no weapon systems as it's purpose was purely experimental.
    No firm details are available for the propulsion system, possibilities are AIP an area that Russia was badly lagging in (despite post WW2 research using captured German engineers and war materials), micro nuke or more conventional diesel/electric. There is a school of thought that the boat was purely electric with a very small diesel generator needing to dock to recharge. The prop design indicates a top design speed of around 25 knots, with an effecctive polymer injection system this could have been as much as 30 knots, surface speed would have been in the order of 10-12 knots.

So that's the back ground, a one off design which as not a front line unit there is little reliable information other than a very few images and a NATO designation of "Begula", it was obviously seen and heard but as a non-combat boat didn't warrent huge attention.

Now moving on, I liked the look of this hull and it is a relatively simple design. The hull proportion ratio is easily calculated from the few images so it is easy to extropolate the full hull. Presumably as the boat was not )?) nuclear powered the characteristic Alfa type intake scoops are absent but the sensor array would be similar. The majority of significant sensors were internal so of little interest in the design.

Then along came Covid and despite being a frontline worker sickness in the household side lined me for 2 weeks so I took the concept and ran with it.

A quick design session in Autodesk Fusion 123 built the basic hull form as a single smooth spline, this was then sliced and diced for printing. The hull was scaled to accept a 7.6cm OD x 30cm WTC, this uses a pre-existing design and print files which was used in my Astute 3D print build, though this hull could happily take up to 85mm OD.
    LOA is 88cms (34.5") excluding the prop with a beam of 12.5 (5.9") cms
    The section length of 20cm was chosen, my printer is capable of greater than this but in case others might be interested in printing this I opted for a more achievable print height on a normal cartesian printer. The cuts also allow several different build and access configurations. I have opted for the lifting deck section configuration.
    The STL's for printing were generated with CURA and printed on Flysun QQ-S delta printer using PLA+ at a layer height of 0.4mm with a 30% fill printed at 250mm/s to give a reasonable surface (albeit requiring surface filling) with quick print times.
    A template for a 40mm prop was designed for fabricaton in brass or as a template to mold from using a low melting point metal. I have machined a boss for this and am waiting for further metal supplies to cut the blades.
    Housing for the WTC components (tech tray) was redesigned to accept low Kv outrunner brushless motor, an alternate exists to accept up to a 400 size brushed motor.

I have a printed hull, rear plane assemblies. I have two varients of these (i) 'scale' fittings with a socketed plane and (ii) a full pivoting plane. I will initially use the scale planes. Bow planes are yet to be designed and printed as I need to research the profiles and proportions that might have been expected to have been used. I suspect that a scaled copy of Alfa planes will be more than adequate. These may be made as folding units though as the general concept of this build is 'mostly quick and dirty' I may well not add this additional complexity.

Next pics will be of the assembled hull against the Astute for a sense of scale.

Once further parts are delivered I can show the WTC in ore detail.
    Last edited by Ducati S2R; 04-04-2020, 10:21 AM.
  • Ducati S2R
    Ensign
    • Apr 2020

After a little (really quite a bit!) of gel super glue and slow set epoxy we have a filled and cut back hull. In between whiles I printed a few Covid face mask holders, and shifted just over a cubic metre of soil and upgraded my laptops main SSD. All in all a busy and productive day.
    The rear shaft bearer isn't shown here, this houses a sealed bearing but has the option to switch to a simple oilite bearing if I find the sealing is less good than I hope.

The 1:96 3D printed Astute is shown to give a sense of scale, the Beluga would have an LOA of about 62m and the Astute 97m. The Astute was mostly printed on my old Ender3, a cartesian printer, each section took something like 4-5 times as long as my Delta per print.
    The odd colour is the red filler over the grey hull material
    The hull has been joined to give a top access, though as noted in my first post this could be optional on personal preference.
    The bearers are sized to have the prop shaft exit from the WTC at the centre line which has been checked with my preference of a 76mm diameter WTC, as van be seen there is sufficient space for a larger WTC. Length is the real issue I'm aiming for a 30-35cm WTC length (12 - 14") more than enough space for everything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	beluga_hull1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	137650Click image for larger version  Name:	BelugaHull2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.2 KB ID:	137651Click image for larger version  Name:	BelugaHull3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	137652Click image for larger version  Name:	BelugaHull4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.9 KB ID:	137653Click image for larger version  Name:	beluga_hull5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	137654

For fast iteration of change to design 3D design and printing is quite tough to beat, although I will accept the real challenge in any design is getting it right first time and it is more satisfying. As an example the stern control links I designed and printed were OK BUT I opted to use hex head stainless bolts rather than small grub screws and completely forgot to account for the extra height of the heads!! A redesign and reprint took literally 10 minutes to produce the second iteration which was correct.

And that I think is it for the day.

Now off for some feet up time in front of the TV and a bit of rum :) and maybe ponder the dive system.
    Last edited by Ducati S2R; 04-04-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

No need to over-size the control surfaces. Go scale. A well trimmed model will operate just fine.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

I love the Beluga. Greg Sharpe did up a version ages ago when I lived up there and he was still into subs. It was a screamer!

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Screamer? I'll give you screamer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	137748

Comment

Working...