• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConcreteTurtle
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

Micro Snort Pump Voltage

Hi all,

I'm making some headway on the subdriver 3.5 for the Akula and Alfa, and I've got a quick question.

What voltage can the smaller snort pump handle? I'm making up some battery packs and I have a choice between 6.6v or 9.9v packs.
    I understand that the Graupner speed 500 is 7.2v but will handle higher voltages ok, but would the MERS switch and micro snort work at 9.9v?

Cheers.

CT.
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ConcreteTurtle
    Hi all,

I'm making some headway on the subdriver 3.5 for the Akula and Alfa, and I've got a quick question.

What voltage can the smaller snort pump handle? I'm making up some battery packs and I have a choice between 6.6v or 9.9v packs.
    I understand that the Graupner speed 500 is 7.2v but will handle higher voltages ok, but would the MERS switch and micro snort work at 9.9v?

Cheers.

CT.

I have run the pump on 6v and 7.2v, but not higher. I think as we discussed you will find that boat plenty fast on either these voltages. My Alfa has run previously on 6v and 12v. 6 was only marginally slower on top end speed!
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

You must be using A123 batteries :) i just made up 6.6V a pack for my Revell type VII, and was looking at using the 9.9V for bigger boats too
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2009

I sure am, been thinking about them for a while and thought it was time to try it out.

Going for a 2S/2P to start with, 6.6v /4600mAh should be more than enough to get me into deep water and trouble.

Are you liking the A123s for your sub? How do you monitor the battery voltage to make sure you don't over discharge?

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Good info on these superb batteries here-

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Where do you buy these?
            J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2009

I've found the best place to get them locally is in DeWalt 36v battery packs for cordless drills etc.
              There are a few sellers on eBay, the pack I'm using cost $175AUD.

Each pack contains 10 "M1" cells, 2300mAh, 3.3v nominal. There are some really good how-to guides for harvesting the batteries and making up packs in various places on the net. Just search for A123 and DeWalt. (I'd recommend this thread over on rcgroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599316)

I have a hyperion charger and balancer for these cells, but I gather from reading the rcgroups forums, you can treat them pretty harshly without major problems. ie. Some gents are charging their 10S1P packs on location at over 8C! :eek:

They seem a lot less trouble than LiPo, less prone to catastrophic problems and generally more robust.

If anyone is interested interested, I'll keep you posted on how it works out.
              Last edited by ConcreteTurtle; 04-15-2009, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

I only have a 2cell pack for type 7 and still bench testing with it, but no need to balance with two cell and is nice compact size
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• junglelord
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ConcreteTurtle
                  I've found the best place to get them locally is in DeWalt 36v battery packs for cordless drills etc.
                  There are a few sellers on eBay, the pack I'm using cost $175AUD.

Each pack contains 10 "M1" cells, 2300mAh, 3.3v nominal. There are some really good how-to guides for harvesting the batteries and making up packs in various places on the net. Just search for A123 and DeWalt. (I'd recommend this thread over on rcgroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599316)

I have a hyperion charger and balancer for these cells, but I gather from reading the rcgroups forums, you can treat them pretty harshly without major problems. ie. Some gents are charging their 10S1P packs on location at over 8C! :eek:

They seem a lot less trouble than LiPo, less prone to catastrophic problems and generally more robust.

If anyone is interested interested, I'll keep you posted on how it works out.
                  Excellent link.
                  Now that is thinking outside the box and using proper pics to document all the information. More information in this context (lots of pics with text) is very needed in this forum and this hobby. Cheers.
                  I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

Working...