• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConcreteTurtle
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

Spark Arrestment

Hi Guys,

I recall reading somewhere here about adding capacitors between the terminals and body of the micro snort pump, and also the drive motor (Its a graupner 500 in my 3.5" SD).

Does anyone recall the values of cap I should buy for both?

The info probably hidden in plain sight, but I can't find it..

Thanks,

CT.
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

The capacitors are installed, to case, on motors that will have polarity reversed during operation, such as propulsion motors. .01 to .1 micro-farads will work.
    On motors that will Not have polarity reversed, such as larger snort-pump, it's best to install a diode across the terminals, such as a 1N4001 diode. Polarity of the diode must be observed.
    But a capacitor can be used on those motors also, it's just not as good a filter as the diode.
    The caps and diodes filter out electrical-noise, produced by the motor mainly, making the power circuit have a more constant DC level.
    If you purchase the MERS E-switch from Caswell, the proper diode for the snort-pump motor is included with it.
    If you use the type E-switch that attaches to micro pump (soldered to terminals), it has on-board isolation and filtering, so caps or diode are not needed.
    See pic:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by toppack; 03-28-2009, 07:13 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
      The capacitors are installed, to case, on motors that will have polarity reversed during operation, such as propulsion motors. .01 to .1 micro-farads will work.
      On motors that will Not have polarity reversed, such as larger snort-pump, it's best to install a diode across the terminals, such as a 1N4001 diode. Polarity of the diode must be observed.
      But a capacitor can be used on those motors also, it's just not as good a filter as the diode.
      The caps and diodes filter out electrical-noise, produced by the motor mainly, making the power circuit have a more constant DC level.
      If you purchase the MERS E-switch from Caswell, the proper diode for the snort-pump motor is included with it.
      If you use the type E-switch that attaches to micro pump (soldered to terminals), it has on-board isolation and filtering, so caps or diode are not needed.
      See pic:
      Good dope, Rick.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

It should Be, I Pay my Supplier Big-bucks for It. ;) LOL :D
        Last edited by toppack; 03-29-2009, 09:27 AM.
        Rick L.

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2009

Thanks toppack,

Absolutely the good dope...

I've looked in my MERS switch bag, and sure enough the diode was down the bottom. I'm using the smaller snort pump because real estate is at a premium in the cut down SD for the Alfa. I'll add this diode across the pump when I install the MERS.
          I'll also go ahead and add a couple of caps to the main motor as suggested.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

CT.

Comment

• toppack
            Rear Admiral
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ConcreteTurtle
            I've looked in my MERS switch bag, and sure enough the diode was down the bottom.
            Great,
            the instruction sheet with the MERS shows how to install the diode with proper polarity. It will 'Make Smoke' if put in backward.
            The capacitors value is not too critical. Around .1 microfarads is a good size since they are physically small enough and have enough capacitance to do a fair job of noise filtering.
            Last edited by toppack; 03-29-2009, 09:37 AM.
            Rick L.

Comment

• junglelord
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

Make smoke and stink too, good dope, must be skunk weed....LOL.

Comment

Working...