• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConcreteTurtle
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

WTC to suit scale ships 1:96 Akula

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the hobby, but enjoying the learning curve a lot.

What WTC would suit Vladimirs beautiful Akula II?
    Is there a subdriver that's fits the bill?
    Thanks,

ConcreteTurtle
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Angus,
    good to see you made it in here.
    The subdriver is one of the very best WTC systems you can buy.

Best
    John
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Nuke Power
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

Tsk Tsk john you didnt even answer the question. The SD 3.5 will work fine. It is what I am using.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Opps...

well its answered now.

Angus, the SD will be cool mate. Go for it.
        Mike and David have never let me down.

Best
        John
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2009

Great,

Thanks for the info and words of encouragement Gents.

ConcreteTurtle.

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

No problems Angus,
            BTW how did you get on ordering the sub etc?

John
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

We haven't changed our web page on this product. It currently states

SD35 Sub Driver 3.5 $540.00

Now in Kit form only $365.00

Motors, and seals installed in Aft Bulkhead.

I think we even have them in stock.
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2009

Thanks for the info kazzer,

I'm afraid this might be a newbie question, but here goes...

Do most pre assembled WTCs use the gas ballast system?

I've done some reading, (again a small amount of knowledge is a dangerous thing :)) and I wondered if any use RCABS, R-RCABS or pistons, or is this reaching a bit far for a first timer?

I think I'd rather something that's self sufficient, and doesn't rely on propel or equivalent if I can.

Or am I missing the big picture with ballast systems?

As for the hull, I just want to make sure that I've got everything I need or at least know about everything that I will need before I pull the trigger.

I'd recommend Vladimir to anyone however, a very helpful and skilled gentleman.

Thanks again,
                ConcreteTurtle

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ConcreteTurtle
                  Thanks for the info kazzer,

I'm afraid this might be a newbie question, but here goes...

I've done some reading, (again a small amount of knowledge is a dangerous thing :)) and I wondered if any use RCABS, R-RCABS or pistons, or is this reaching a bit far for a first timer?

I think I'd rather something that's self sufficient, and doesn't rely on propel or equivalent if I can.

Or am I missing the big picture with ballast systems?

As for the hull, I just want to make sure that I've got everything I need or at least know about everything that I will need before I pull the trigger.

I'd recommend Vladimir to anyone however, a very helpful and skilled gentleman.

Thanks again,
                  ConcreteTurtle
                  Angus,
                  You asked some very good questions. Here is my humble opinion- based on 15 years of playing with and building varying systems.

The D&E Subdrivers are about the only pre assembled WTC you can buy. All the D&E range of subdrivers use gas.

I have used RCABS and pistons, and a few others too - yes they work well - some very well.

Its not that its a reach IMO for a first timer but the beauty of the D&E is you are buying engineering excellence with a lot of guess work taken out. This is where the first timer can loose heart and interest if the guess work goes sour. Most other systems you buy components and assemble them. With a D&E subdriver you are buying the pre-assembled item with a vast majority of the the guess work eliminated. I have not purchased the subdriver kit, I have only bought pre-assembled, but I can imagine from my past purchases that you would get a fantastic set of complete instructions and hardware.

A good thought - and this actually turned me away from gas systems in the beginning - what made me come back?
                  - The D&E System is a unique gas system in that it has an on board float in the ballast tank and reducers in the gas line - this means you don't waste gas due to operator error- once the ballast tank is empty the gas cuts off. The reducers mean each shot of gas doesn't unnecessarily dump the whole supply either.

Next Mike and David discovered the snort pump (sorry David "low pressure blower"), when you add this you virtually never use the propel save for emergency backup , or Emergency blow drills.
                  If you add a low pressure blower system you will rarely use propel as when operating at PD you draw in outside air using the air pump (blower) to empty the tank.

Angus - no ballast system will be perfect or 100% problem free, but I have found the D&E subdriver by far the most reliable, easiest to live with, and maintain and that is why along with David and Mike's professionalism and after sales service I happily recommend them.

Best

John I'll drink to THAT!
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Angus,
                    forgot to mention - you get an awful lot of bang for your buck too.

Go for it.

John
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jan 2009

Hi Again Everyone,

Well I've done it, I ordered the Akula hull from Vladimir today. So it'll be about 2 weeks until it arrives. Now comes the task of getting myself organised to start my build.

On the advice of almost everyone I've come across, I'm going to order the SD35 to fit to it, and I just wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what extra hardware I should be buying when I order the kit?

The radio, speed controller, receiver, battery and servos I think I can get locally, but any other miscellaneous hardware, like weights and a method to actuate the front planes I'm still a bit fuzzy on.

Anyway, keep an eye out for a build thread featuring a beautiful Akula and a bewildered newbie coming to a forum near you. :)

Thanks to all,

CT.
                      Last edited by ConcreteTurtle; 02-09-2009, 04:27 AM. Reason: Atrocious Spelling

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Well done mate -re the Subdriver- you have made the right choice.

best

John
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ConcreteTurtle
                          Hi Again Everyone,

Well I've done it, I ordered the Akula hull from Vladimir today. So it'll be about 2 weeks until it arrives. Now comes the task of getting myself organised to start my build.

On the advice of almost everyone I've come across, I'm going to order the SD35 to fit to it, and I just wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what extra hardware I should be buying when I order the kit?

The radio, speed controller, receiver, battery and servos I think I can get locally, but any other miscellaneous hardware, like weights and a method to actuate the front planes I'm still a bit fuzzy on.

Anyway, keep an eye out for a build thread featuring a beautiful Akula and a bewildered newbie coming to a forum near you. :)

Thanks to all,

CT.
                          That is one BEAUTIFUL kit. You are not worthy ... atone for yours sins, send it to me.

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Nov 2008

Is that the same Vladimir that makes electric powered gliders?
                            Last edited by toppack; 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM.
                            Rick L.
                            --------------------------------------------
                            * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                            Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

"and a method to actuate the front planes I'm still a bit fuzzy on."

Dont bother with this model. The planes willgive you nothing on this boat. Save the channel for a LPB or lights or something.

I just got my new Akula in perhaps we can build it together. This will be #2 for for me.

Comment

Working...