X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kinggeordie
    Ensign
    • Feb 2011

static dive tank help please

hi, im currently making th wtc for a t class sub, i am going to make a static dive tank using a pump to fill then using the pressure of the trapped air and a solenoid valve to empty.

would a graupner 12v fuel pump have enough force to do the task and what type of solenoid valve would be best for the job, also what would be the best way to work this off a transmitter?

thanks lee
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kinggeordie
    hi, im currently making th wtc for a t class sub, i am going to make a static dive tank using a pump to fill then using the pressure of the trapped air and a solenoid valve to empty.

would a graupner 12v fuel pump have enough force to do the task and what type of solenoid valve would be best for the job, also what would be the best way to work this off a transmitter?

thanks lee
    Lee,
    I have employed this type of system for many years. If the pump is of the geared variety you need a way of mitigating an un-intentional "Pump stays on" scenario. Geared pumps that stay in the on position with non vented ballast tanks can literally blow ballast tanks apart. I used centrifugal pumps, these in the same situation get to a point where the tank is no more than 60% full of water 40% compressed air when the pump will still run but not force in any more water and not compress the air any further. You can work this off a single channel via a servo engaging the pump on via momentary micro switch at one side of the servo throw, and the same setup at the other end releasing the solenoid.

I no longer use this setup - the SD system is superior in terms of simplicity, reliability, consistent ballast volumes, and cost effectiveness. Above all you aren't left wondering about high pressures and whether or not your Ballast tank cell will hold together.

Best
    J
    Last edited by Slats; 04-19-2011, 03:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Ps... The Sub Drivers (SDs) are great value for money, especially in kit form.
      You get a lot of bang for your buck.
      By the time you end up "experimenting" with setups most people could have easily bought a SD kit off the shelf and be sailing rather than wondering what they need to do next to get it right.

Best

J
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• kinggeordie
        Ensign
        • Feb 2011

Thanks for all your kind replys

lee

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Happy to help Lee.
          Let us know how you get on.
          Best
          J
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...