• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

screw couplers solved

Rouge sub, David:

I was always losing a shaft coupler to the screws. I've made three sets. I had seen Rouge subs spring loaded couplers and had always meant to make some of those. Today I got some Traxxas 'Villain (#1539R)' u-joints hoping to relieve the couplers problem. The Traxxas u-joints are smooth and quiet I'll seen them in action before. The problem is they are to big (long, two sets) to fit in the short space to couple the drive shaft with the motors. They are also a little wider than the Dumas females but a electric drill with a file can fix that. I also want something that will hook up easy. I messed with them, going through all my stuff in the garage and hobby box's. I tried airplane fuel line and I'll be damn. It worked. Easy to hook up. runs smooth, quiet.

I did have to shim the Traxxas u-joints with 5/32 brass tube. Also drill a hole in the brass so the set screw will lock down on a 1/8 brass rod in the Traxxas u-joints. Looking forward to going over to Susan's pool when her boyfriend goes home Monday.

Jack
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pjdog; 06-26-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Nuke Power
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

Interesting. I think that just about anything is going to be a nightmare. Even my telescoping ones werent perfect. Had to use a set of needle nose pliers to get them in(and a steady hand)

Comment

• pjdog
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

fuel line screw couplers

I ran my new screw couplers this morning in my pool (cooler). The couplers work really well. I'm beside myself with amazement. How simple. At higher motor speeds I do get a little vibration. If you notice in the picture you can see ripples beside the hull (vibration). Me thinks (David) that if I make the 1/8 brass rod inside the fuel line a little longer to reach almost to the motor shafts I think the vibration will go away. Or at lease lessen.

Jack
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nuke Power
          Banned
          • Dec 2008

Me thinks you are correct

Comment

Working...