X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

2019 winds down

I'm happy to report that the folks here in the Northeast on Long Island are still active coming into the latter half of October. Even though the days are getting shorter, Nor'easter's are coming through, and the water temp's getting to the point of "NO GO" for RC Sub Rescue, we’re attempting to stretch the 2019 running season out.

I have personally been running every Sunday since the SubFunRun at Groton. SHARK is just tuned in so perfectly that I’m having a hard time decommissioning her for the winter. But with build season upon is, it’s time to “git ‘er done”!

This past Sunday we assembled at the North end of Lake Ronkonkoma. With the wind out of the north, I would usually prefer the south end, so a disabled vessel adrift would be blown in with the onshore breeze. But in this case we forwent that in hopes for the calm water at the start of the lakes long fetch. This was the day we were testing the 360FLY for submergence aboard the SHARK.

More on that after I edit the 26 minute virtual reality video and present it on YouTube.

Here we are prepping the boats to get underway. In order from foreground to background. (Credit: Gaito)

Capt. Ray Mason’s USS RAYFISH SSN-509, (heck, I’m not sure which prototype he’s basing her on, other than it’s early configuration/paint scheme) 1:72 Moebius Hull w/ SubDriver.
    Capt. Irving Lloyd’s USS ALBACORE AGSS-569 1:60 SUBTCH kit, surface running only.
    Capt. Ed Tordahl’ s USS SHARK SSN-591 1:48 DeBoer Hull, homebrewed WTB’s, in its cradle.

The 1:1 scale waterfowl is real.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20101013_A.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	672.7 KB
ID:	134513

Here is a close up of SHARK in her launch/retrieve cradle prior to fitting the 360FLY. She weighs in at 26 lbs. dry (11.8 kg) so launching usually isn’t too bad, unless it’s a bulkhead, then I use two automotive serpentine fan belts to lower and raise her. As a wet hull, retrieval is the b*!¢# until the water drains. (Credit: Gaito)

Name:	20101013_B.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	703.1 KB
ID:	134514

A good close up of the RAYFISH in shallow water. Note the early paint scheme. Ray loves his scum line! (Credit: Mason)

Name:	20101013_C.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	134515

Here is the SHARK making for the dive point with the 360FLY mounted. I use her stern, upper hull mounting screw hole. Even though I added compensation foam for the camera, she still had a list to port when surfaced. You’ll see that clearly when I release the 360 Video. As always, one learns something during an initial test. I'll fix it for next time. Hoping to have PROTUES ready to use it next year. (Credit: Mason)

Name:	20101013_D.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	134516

Here the RAYFISH and SHARK are running in formation on the surface. (Credit: Gaito)

Name:	20101013_E.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	134517

One of the coolest shots of the year in my opinion! RAYFISH is surfaced and in formation with SHARK which is running at PD. The intent was to have RAYFISH close-in from astern to get some submerged video of RAYFISH, instead we got this “money shot”. Very realistic reminiscent of a bygone “Cold War” era photo. Made it my Windows background. (Credit: Mason)

Name:	20101013_F.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	582.8 KB
ID:	134518

Speaking of nice pictures, here’s RAYFISH a week earlier at the Babylon Town Hall park. Very nice waterline shot!! (Credit: Gaito)

Name:	20101006_D.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	134519

Finally, from left to right: (Credit: Mason)

Capt. Bob Gaito giving instruction.
    Capt. Frank Salerno, qualifying Helmsman/Planesman watch aboard USS RAYFISH. He is undergoing Watch standing training for his home built 1:48 Scale SSRN SEAVIEW. Coming soon to a pond near you.
    Capt. Irving Lloyd: Just smiling, he does that a lot, and I mean A LOT.

Ray and I were camera shy that day, you’ll see us in the forthcoming virtual video.

Name:	20101013_G.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	739.4 KB
ID:	134520
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Ed, great photos! I agree on the Rayfish and Shark photo!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Nice job Ed ! -...must have taken some time with the commentary-and thanks for the credits

Comment

• DMTNT
        Commander
        • Jun 2018

Great shots Ed! Glad you guys have a nice, active community ticking along up there.
        Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

The toughest part is editing the 360Fly VR Video. But I should have that on YouTube tonight.

I will have it done this evening.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
            The toughest part is editing the 360Fly VR Video. But I should have that on YouTube tonight.

I will have it done this evening.
            I know I'm looking forward to that. Thanks, Ed.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

Ed make sure my good side shots don't end up on the cutting room floor-BG

Comment

• RickP330
                Ensign
                • Dec 2019

Looking great guys. I ought to come out and spectate one day....
                RickP

Comment

Working...