X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Slats
    Caption....."Communism -not built to the lowest cost but built by the loweliest conscripts."
    Back around 95, we were trying to sell some pumps to a russian refinery through a engineering company in UK. I had never dealt with russians before. Normally we are asked to quote spare parts to cover first two years operation, for us this meant one set of bearings (which should really last 4-5 years), and a set of mechanical seals. We dont want to sell too many spares up front, we want to make money later on ;). so it became a big argument. The russians wanted 4 sets of seals and 4 sets of bearings, this pushes our base price up (which they want to negotiate down), and also means spares will be a long time coming. so it went backwards and forwards. Eventually the maintenance manager said to me, i do not believe your bearings and seals will last that long, with Russian pumps we replace them every 4 months, before they fail....
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Rpmtech1
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Dec 2009

Thats odd, why would you care when you sell the spare parts? Isint as much money you can get right now the best thing, or is there some side benefit.

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

Typically at the front end we need to keep the spares prices down at new unit margins, cos you are still in price competition. once the guy has your equipment you can charge a more reasonable price ;)
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Rpmtech1
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Dec 2009

Ahh, go it.

Comment

• 639mpa
            Lieutenant
            • Nov 2010

I thought the cork would hold. Da

Comment

• 639mpa
              Lieutenant
              • Nov 2010

If the Americans can sink their Nuclear Sub Guitarro alongside the pier during construction then we've shown them up eh Comrade?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Agreed on that, but I must comment on the excellent safety record of the American weapons (jury's still out on what killed the SCORPION though).

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...