Clear All

• Scott T
    replied
    Thank you for the definition Roddersuk.

Scott T

Leave a comment:

• Roddersuk
    replied
    A 'Tiffy' is the RN and REME term for an 'Artificer'. Tubal Cain being the first Artificer in metals.
    REME being the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers of the British Army.

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Albion
    Most brit vessels have recylced names. So probablly how they chose the name Acheron for M&C, look at one that been used, chances are it could have been used before.
    This is good stuff - for me. My dad was an ERA, and he was on the Acheron! I remember him often saying, "When I was on the Acheron-----"

You can see his service record here http://moonrakers.com/submarines/RJCaswellrecord2.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	RJCaswellrecord2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	64138

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    Originally posted by Rpmtech1
    Thats interesting. They named a sub Acheron... Like the ship in the movie "Master and Commander"
    Most brit vessels have recylced names. So probly how they chose the name acheron for M&C, look at one that been used, chances are it could have been used before.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Isnt a "Tiffy" where somebody throws a fit?

Leave a comment:

• Scott T
    replied
    Can you define tiffy for me?

Scott T

Leave a comment:

• Roddersuk
    replied
    Engine Room Artificers are the dogs bollocks of RN ships and subs. They are the most highly trained engineering staff on any ship except the Engineer Officer, who is their commissioned boss. In subs an outside tiffy was responsible for all external systems and the inside tiffy was responsible for all systems inside the boat outside of the engine room.
    REME tiffys spend 2 years training in their respective trades but I believe that RN tiffys train for nearly 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• Rpmtech1
    replied
    Thats interesting. They named a sub Acheron... Like the ship in the movie "Master and Commander"

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rpmtech1
    Artificer... thats a REAL British word :) "Hey what U do for a livin' man? Im an Artificer your arse!" Thats neat your pops was in subs. I cant make out the writing on that sheet...
    But don't try to say it if you've just had your rum tot!

Click this to see a bigger image of the record.
    Last edited by Kazzer; 01-08-2011, 08:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rpmtech1
    replied
    They just recently finished a B-36 for display at the Pima museum here in AZ, what a beast! Im gonna have to build a big model of one sometime.

Artificer... thats a REAL British word :) "Hey what U do for a livin' man? Im an Artificer your arse!" Thats neat your pops was in subs. I cant make out the writing on that sheet...
    Last edited by Rpmtech1; 01-07-2011, 10:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by greenman407
    Oh! This is a submarine site. Oh well, it kinda looks like a submarine.

It kinda looks weird! The engines are on back to front, can't tell if its coming or going!:biggrin:

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    My Dad was in the Airforce during the cold war. He flew the long S.A.C. missions from Puerto Rico to Iceland and back. He was the radio man in B-36 Peacemakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	105982254OstOrQ_ph.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	60776Click image for larger version

Name:	convair-b36-peacemaker.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	60777

He couldn't wait to get out and go home. Oh! This is a submarine site. Oh well, it kinda looks like a submarine.
    Last edited by Kazzer; 01-07-2011, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Mike, Did you already have this picture of the Tactician or is it new to you?
    No, I didn't have that one. The only one I had was a rather poor photo! Nice Find!

I think it was on the Tactician that the boat was on a dive in the North Sea (300' deep) and she nose dived. My dad blew the forward tanks manually without orders and surfaced the boat like a porpoise coming out of water. The T Class, being almost 300' long was going to hit the sand bottom nose first and likely get stuck with the props out of the water, so the action saved the day. Shortly after that, my dad quit the Navy. He told me he was scared to death of submarines and wanted to go home, go fishing, have a few pints occasionally, and have a quiet life!

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    The third one up from the bottom says that he was aboard the Tactician as a engine room watchkeeper and a outside ERA. Cool!........Whats a ERA?
    ERA = Engine Room Artificer! But I don't know exactly what his duties were - except to keep the darned thing running!

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Mike, Did you already have this picture of the Tachtician or is it new to you?

Leave a comment:

Working...